SCIfelon79

Reasons to request an a pardon and success rates

In 2008, as part of a plea agreement, I plead guilty to felony possession of marijuana with intent to deliver, and felony possession of drug paraphernalia. Got probation and a fine. 

Then in 2015,in a freak accident, I broke my neck and had subsequent spinal cord damage. I am a C6 incomplete Quadriplegic Paralyzed from the chest down. Have most of my arm movement, but extremely limited in hand function . I have several secondary health issues related to my SCI.  Since the injury, I have had to deal with all kinds of bureaucratic problems involving Medicaid, Social Security, DHS, Arkansas Rehabilitation Services, and other state agencies. While a lot of people have difficulties in dealing with these social services, I on the other hand have a good understanding in navigating the bureaucracy because I was a political science  and public administration major in college and was about 30hrs short of a bachelor's degree when I was arrested and forced to quit school to resolve my Legal problems and find employment. Fast forward to today, and I will finally be able to go back to school. I am considering g two possible career options, either going into being a social worker or going to law school to become a disability rights attorney. Here is my problem, both careers require either state licensing or passing the state Bar exam. Because I am a felon, I can get neither of these state licenses.The only way I can get my felonies expunged is by applying for a Pardon from the Governor. I have researched the process and downloaded the application and believe I can obtain all the necessary documents it requires. My question is what is the odds that the Pardon would be granted. Has anyone here either received a pardon or represented someone granted a pardon. If anyone knows what is the ratio of pardons requested versus pardons granted. Anyone with advice on how to increase my chances because it would require a lot of work to not have any chance at all to be granted 

Hi @SCIfelon79

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! For advice about how to prepare your pardon request in the most effective way, you may wish to consult with a local criminal attorney. An attorney might have some data about how many pardons are granted each year, however, many attorneys are loathe to offer percentages or probabilities of success, because each case varies greatly by circumstances.

Best of luck, and we hope your pardon is granted!

The FindLaw.com Team

×
×