stormy71

Tresspassing,& damaging property with ATV's

I live in Bulington, NC and I have 6 acres of pasture land that I am trying to get the land back in shape for animals. I have a couple of drunks that live next to my land that I have called the Sheriff on repeatedly for trespassing. They get drunk then ride their ATV on my property putting ruts all over my property, they cut down trees on my property at night for bomb fires, and when I speak to them they cuss, use defamatory names at us,and even told me if I put any animals out there they will kill them. All the police do is keep talking to them and keep giving them no trespassing warning but that is all. Need I say my husband and I are a mix couple. Recently one of these guys got arrested for pointing a gun at someone in the face and threatening them.  So, I'm scared they will do something to my husband or me and maybe both of us. We don't want to move, this is our home what can we do?

The two things that come to mind are (1) seek a protective order forbidding them from coming on your property, and (2) sue them for trespass in civil court.  Having just watched "The Magnificent Seven" (original version) I guess you could also hire a gunslinger or two (or seven).

11 hours ago, stormy71 said:

bomb fires

You mean bonfires?  If you meant what you wrote, you probably should contact the Department of Homeland Security.

Need I say my husband and I are a mix couple.

I'm not sure what "a mix couple" might be, but I can't imagine that this would be relevant to anything.

what can we do?

If local law enforcement won't do its job, then moving might be the best option.  Otherwise, I agree with the prior response.  Fences might also be useful.

Hi @stormy71

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! So sorry to hear about your situation, that sounds really stressful. Is it possible to construct a fence to keep your neighbors out? Echoing what other posters have said, in addition to continuing to report the activity to law enforcement, you may want to speak with an attorney about suing them civilly or filing a restraining order. If you need help finding an attorney in your area, you can use the FindLaw Lawyer Directory.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team