Sign in to follow this  
Mother_wants_her_kids_back

What do I do first?

About 5 years ago I was married with 3 boys. What I didn't know was that while I was at work, my husband at the time was not watching my children. The neighbor lady called the CPS and had them taken. after a year of my ex not getting any better at taking care of them at visits, they told us we should give up guardianship to a family member so we wouldn't lose them to adoption. We signed over guardianship to my ex's cousin and his wife. About 2 months after that, my ex threatened my life and I filed for a divorce. I went and got my own place and asked for guardianship. The cousins told me I didn't make enough money to support 3 children. I then went and got my GED and enrolled in college to get a better job to support my kids. Meanwhile, I had financial difficulties and I couldn't go and see my kids for a few months. When I got more financially stable, I asked if i could see my kids and they told me no because I hadn't been much of a mother lately. I had tried to get a hold of them a couple times after that but they wouldn't return my calls or answer my letters. I graduate in December, and I just got a letter in the mail from their lawyer stating that they wanted to adopt my kids and wanted to know if I was ok with that. My question is, what should I do now? Should I answer them right away or should I wait until I graduate and go for custody instead? Should i write them a letter asking for visitation to show that I still want to see my kids or should I go to court to get visitation? I am terribly missing my kids and she won't even send me any pictures of them, but my ex has school pictures of them on his Facebook page, even though I know for a fact that he never visits them. Please help!

I'm not sure why you took at face value the cousins' statement that you didn't make enough money to support three children and let it go at that.  You may have been eligible for some type of assistance depending on your income and other factors.  Do you want them to adopt your children?  If not, you need to get an attorney right away to try to get guardianship or custody restored to you.  This is not a DIY project.  If you are able to show your attorney that your life is now stable and you have adequate income and housing for them, he/she should be able to demonstrate that to the court.  Don't wait until December.  Show up at any and all court hearings relating to your children.

Hi @Mother_wants_her_kids_back

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. You likely should speak with an experienced family law attorney immediately. You can click here for a free consultation with a family law attorney, or use our Lawyer Directory to search for one near you.

Probably, you should immediately oppose any adoption and take every step available to you to get your children back. If there are any court dates set, appear there and tell the judge as much. If you wait until your graduate, it might be too late!

Best of luck,

The FindLaw.com Team

4 hours ago, Mother_wants_her_kids_back said:

after a year of my ex not getting any better at taking care of them at visits, they told us we should give up guardianship. . . .

Who are "they"?

We signed over guardianship to my ex's cousin and his wife.

It is not possible to "sign[] over guardianship."  A guardianship can only be established by court order.  Is there a court order?

I went and got my own place and asked for guardianship.

Asked whom?

The cousins told me I didn't make enough money to support 3 children.

Doesn't matter what they think.  What matters is what the court thinks.

what should I do now?

That's not something for a bunch of anonymous strangers on the internet to decide.  What do you want to do?

I strongly suggest you consult with a local attorney ASAP.  The longer you wait, the more it could jeopardize your chances of getting your kids back.