Sign in to follow this  
operatesinthegrey

Glass of water=domestic battery charge?

Im a stay at home dad, wife obviously the breadwinner. We argue quite a bit. More maybe than average but that's irrelevant. I'm a large guy; 6'3" 325lbs. My wife 5'7" 135lbs. We were in an argument yesterday in which she became very audible. She's naturally a vocal person anyway but enough to where the neighbors took notice. The result was a glass of water ended up on me allegedly having been thrown onto me and a broom was broken on a poster in the garage. She never laid a finger on me, but those awesome neighbors told police she was beating me even though I have no marks. She was ultimately arrested for domestic battery for the water as I was told after being lied to by the police saying she wasn't. So I'm doubtful a jury will convict her given the fact the police misheard that it looked like she threw/dumped the water on me and my size compared to hers. We are not well off by any means and she has a state license which could be effected resulting in some serious financial implications if by miracle they actually win. Off the record as to not implicate anyone or hold you to any legal advise given; what can I do to destroy the prosecutions case before she is even arraigned. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to see this disappear. 

Somebody threw the water. Somebody broke the broom.  Both are physical acts of violence.  Your wife yelled (screamed?) loudly enough to disturb the neighbors.  You need to understand that while many -- perhaps all -- couples argue, when the police get involved in the argument you have crossed the line into domestic violence.  This is not going to disappear.  For reasons I won't get into here, prosecutors will not and cannot dismiss DV charges simply because one or both of the disputants want them to.

I have no idea how this incident will play out or what the ramifications will be for your wife's license, but let this serve as a wake-up call for you and your wife to stop arguing.  There's counseling available if you need help or guidance to dial down your disagreements.

Hi @operatesinthegrey

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! Looks like you've already got some helpful input from the community. There may not be a guaranteed way to get the case dismissed before your wife is arraigned. Once your wife was arrested, to a certain extent the outcome is now out of your hands, because the prosecutor may decide to press charges. However, if you refuse to participate in the investigation or refuse to testify against your wife, the State may not have the evidence it needs to convict your wife.

Best of luck,

The FindLaw.com