LOVEFORMYCHILD42

need advice on how to adopt

Hello i have a serious of question to ask. I have a child since she was 3 months old that child is my my daughter i raised her she is now 10 yrs old when she was a baby her biological mother signed over her rights so i can raise her the biological mother is my sister-in-law she is married to my brother and they have 4 kids together they are not together anymore and they are still married but my boyfriend and I at the time got permanent guardianship over her when she was a baby but now that we are not together any more and he has his own biological child he do not help any more like that so im doing the raising on my own i want to adopt her and i just dont know how where to begin can someone please help me i need some advice.

55 minutes ago, LOVEFORMYCHILD42 said:

her biological mother signed over her rights

By court decree?

55 minutes ago, LOVEFORMYCHILD42 said:

my boyfriend and I at the time got permanent guardianship

By court decree?

If the answers to both questions are yes, it might not be too difficult to adopt through the courts.

If the answers to either or both questions are no, it will be a lot more difficult to adopt.

Either way, you will need to hire a family law attorney, so you may as well accept the fact that you will have to spend money on the process.

In any future posts, please make an effort to use something that resembles proper capitalization and punctuation so that we can more easily read and understand what you write.

1 hour ago, LOVEFORMYCHILD42 said:

I have a child since she was 3 months old that child is my my daughter i raised her she is now 10 yrs old when she was a baby her biological mother signed over her rights so i can raise her the biological mother is my sister-in-law she is married to my brother and they have 4 kids together they are not together anymore and they are still married but my boyfriend and I at the time got permanent guardianship over her when she was a baby

Apparently, contrary to what you wrote, this child is not your daughter (otherwise there'd be no need for you to "adopt" her).  Rather, she is your niece -- the child of your brother and sister-in-law.  Correct?  Also note that it is not possible for a parent to "sign[] over [his or] her [parental] rights."  Finally, since a guardianship can only be created by order of a court, I will assume that your statement that you "got permanent guardianship" means that the court entered such an order, but you should confirm that.

1 hour ago, LOVEFORMYCHILD42 said:

i want to adopt her and i just dont know how where to begin can someone please help me i need some advice.

Adoption is not a good do-it-yourself project.  Please consult with a local attorney who handles adoption cases.

Hi @LOVEFORMYCHILD42

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! You may want to start by perusing the adoption section of the FindLaw Learn About the Law materials:

As others have mentioned, you may also want to speak with a family law attorney, because the adoption process can be confusing. For a free consultation with a family law attorney, click here.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team