Sign in to follow this  
Lucky_Dad_of_3

Credit child support $$ from one child to anotehr

I am newly split with my live-in girlfriend and soon going to be adding child support for my 5 year old to the already current garnishment for my 2 older children I have with my ex-wife.  I have a credit of $1,800 of over paid child support on the existing account with my 2 older kids.  I'm concerned that while the wheels of Suffolk County Child Support Justice spin and the paperwork process etc that I will end up in arrears with my 5 year old being entered into the system.

My question is will that $1,800 credit I have with Suffolk County Child Support "cancel out" any arrears that will occur with the lag in time resulting from the addition of a new dependent?

Thanks for anyone's help with this.  I would greatly appreciate it! :)

Mike D.

You would probably be better talking with the Suffolk County child support people about this. (I assume all the children are in Suffolk County.)    One obvious problem is that the recipient's of the payments are different.  Your ex-wife has an account and I doubt there is a system for transferring funds from her account to you former girlfriend's account.

Hi @Lucky_Dad_of_3

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! As RetiredinVA mentioned, you may want to speak with the Suffolk County child support Enforcement Bureau about this issue. Because these children have different mothers and are under separate case numbers, if may not possible for a credit with one case to cancel out an obligation in another case.

You may also want to speak with a family law attorney about this issue. For a free consultation with a family law lawyer, click here.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team