flawdagrl

this can't be legal

Can a property owner evict you even though your  current in your rent because cider enforcement might shut the place down until electrical is up  to code?. Seriously?. Is that legal to put someone out when yet haven't  done anything to be evicted for?....It's the homeowner /property managers responsibility to have safe place for tenants to rent.... Why should  we have evicted because of there necglance ?....I can't afford to move.... First and last month security deposit... I can't afford that... Do I have any rights?... Help please

9 hours ago, flawdagrl said:

Can a property owner evict you even though your  current in your rent because cider enforcement might shut the place down until electrical is up  to code?. Seriously?. Is that legal to put someone out when yet haven't  done anything to be evicted for?....

I don't know what "cider enforcement" means but if it is some sort of local regulatory agency that is shutting the place down then it means you can't live there until the electric is up to code.

If it's only a warning that the place will be shut down and the landlord is moving everybody out for the time it takes to rehab the electric, there is nothing illegal about that.

9 hours ago, flawdagrl said:

Do I have any rights?...

Your rights will either be spelled out in your lease or in the Colorado landlord tenant statute (Title 38) at:

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/Colorado/

10 hours ago, flawdagrl said:

Can a property owner evict you even though your  current in your rent because code enforcement might shut the place down until electrical is up  to code?. Seriously?. Is that legal to put someone out when yet haven't  done anything to be evicted for?....It's the homeowner /property managers responsibility to have safe place for tenants to rent.... Why should  we have evicted because of there necglance ?....I can't afford to move.... First and last month security deposit... I can't afford that... Do I have any rights?... Help please

If code enforcement condemns the building because of electricalproblems it should go without saying that you can't live in the building until the necessary repairs are made.  If you are forced to vacate while the repairs are made your rights should be spelled out in the lease.  See if the lease requires the landlord to provide alternate housing while the repairs are made.

In any event, you should immediately see if there is a local landlord-tenant service that may assist you in finding new housing and in recovering your rent and deposit from your landlord.

Ignoring the question of what "cider enforcement" might mean, your landlord may legally evict you for the following reasons:  (1) failure to pay rent; (2) breach of some other provision in your lease; or (3) if you are a month-to-month tenant, you can be evicted without cause as long as the landlord gives you proper notice.

Hi @flawdagrl

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! So sorry to hear about your eviction, that sounds really frustrating. As other posters have mentioned, a landlord can evict a tenant for cause (due to nonpayment of rent, etc.), or without case (because the property is being sold, etc.). There may be eviction defense services available to you locally.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team