zaniyabmom

Financial support

Hello I'm in Chicago and I am puzzled as of what steps to take I have taken my daughters father to court they ordered him to pay $150 a month he paid one month and hasn't paid since, it's been 6 months, he has no legal job but he hustles and drives a nice car, he is married and his wife works for the city makes about 70,000 a year, he doesn't plan to ever get a job he lied and said he cuts hair for a living I just don't kno what steps to take because he will not help support his child I have a question so can they go after his wife then since they are married or what steps can I take to make him help provide for her

His wife is not liable for his child support.  Your only realistic option is to file a motion to have him held in contempt of the support order.  Depending on the judge hearing the case he could be held in contempt and jailed for a period.  Deciding not to work or claiming not to work is not considered a reason for failing to support one's child.

18 minutes ago, RetiredinVA said:

His wife is not liable for his child support.  Your only realistic option is to file a motion to have him held in contempt of the support order.  Depending on the judge hearing the case he could be held in contempt and jailed for a period.  Deciding not to work or claiming not to work is not considered a reason for failing to support one's child.

Thanks for the insight I will be going to the court this am

Hi @zaniyabmom

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! Looks like you've already gotten some great input from the community! Concurring with the other users, your daughter's father's wife is not a party to the action (and he is financially responsible for supporting his children), so I court will not order her to pay his child support. However, as other posters have mentioned, there are many options available to you for collecting child support. You can also check out these resources about enforcement and collection of child support:

You can also speak with an experienced family law attorney. For a free consultation with a local family law lawyer, click here.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team