I sent a notice to quit letter to my tenants. Because they moved in 2 extra people not on the lease. I ask them to move the people out or all of them will have to move. one of the tenants moved with out telling me anything the other tenant has not moved but has been talking to me about moving. She now told me she is going to move. it is now the end of the month and I do not have time to get the place rented in time so I will not louse a month rent or more I have a deposit but I do not know what I do now. do I rent the house and then send the notice to one person (because I do not know where the other person is) what I used the deposit for? (and can I use the deposit for the loss of rent?) or do I have to go to court to end the lease and rent the place? How long do I have to wait before to see if the first person comes back and who do I give the left over deposit to? The person that I can not get in touch with the receipt for the deposit name is in.   

No offense, but if you have to ask all those questions you have no business being a landlord and should sell the place at the earliest possible time.

There is no way I (a 20 year veteran of having rentals), or anybody else, can teach you how to be a landlord in the small amount of space available here so I am providing you links to reference materials that you can study and hopefully figure out what your options are.

First up is the NJ Tenant's Rights Guide. Don't let the name fool you. There's a lot of stuff in there that's useful to landlords.

http://www.lsnjlaw.org/Publications/Pages/Manuals/TenantsRights.pdf

Next are the NJ property law statutes. The landlord tenant sections run from 46:8-1 to 46:8-50.

http://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2013/title-46/

The eviction statutes run from 2A:18-51 to 2A:18-61.12.

http://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2013/title-2a/

When you are through studying all that, if you still don't know what to do, it'll be time for you to hire an attorney.

16 hours ago, laura.cat.friend said:

I have a deposit but I do not know what I do now. do I rent the house and then send the notice to one person (because I do not know where the other person is) what I used the deposit for?

SMH...  Agree with Jack that you have no business being a landlord without having some concept of all this.

16 hours ago, laura.cat.friend said:

She now told me she is going to move.

When?  Immediately?

If the tenants have vacated the premises and turned over possession to you, then the lease is effectively terminated.  However, if the other persons that moved in don't move out, you'll have to go to court to evict them.

As far as how to deal with the deposit and the apparent move out without proper notice, you need to speak with a local landlord-tenant attorney so that you make sure everything is done properly.  Then I suggest you seriously re-evaluate whether you want to continue being a landlord.

I have been a landlord for 35 years and I only ask this question because I never had anyone leave with out telling me where they are and someone stay and try to take over the deposit. I have never had to go to court for anything in the 35 years I been a landlord  I am a good landlord and I always had good tenants please if you think the questions I ask are from someone that should not be a landlord maybe you should take a good look at yourself no offense. 

1 hour ago, laura.cat.friend said:

if you think the questions I ask are from someone that should not be a landlord maybe you should take a good look at yourself no offense.

That makes no sense.  One should not engage in any business venture without knowing the basics of the law applicable to that business.  One of the most basic aspects of being a landlord is knowing the law relating to security deposits and when and under what circumstances deductions may be made from a tenant's deposit.  If you've been a landlord for 35 years and have never had to deal with deductions from a tenant's deposit, then you have been beyond fortunate.

Thanks because it is true  maybe I have been fortunate I only ask a question because I did not know the law because I never had deal with bad things with my tenants sorry if you had bad tenants but all but this one for me have been good. And if you have never had to deal with something. How do you know what to do? Question asked and answered Thanks no more please. 

Hi @laura.cat.friend

Welcome to the Answers community! Thanks for posting. Being a landlord can be challenging, even for those who have been doing so for many years. FindLaw has some really helpful materials in the Learn About the Law section about being a landlord you might want to check out:

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team