Sign in to follow this  
chuckyg23

Sentencing time lines

With regard to restitution, when does the "20" year time period begin for Federal Crimes?

Does it begin when you are sentenced or does it begin when you are released from prison?

During my period of incarceration, I was paying restitution monthly which began in October 1996.

I have been paying restitution ever since that time period. Additionally,

I have read where restitution changes from a criminal judgment to a civil judgment when released from probation.

Is that correct? 

Hi @chuckyg23

Thanks for your post! Check out this page about restitution on the District Attorney's website. It answers some of your questions about restitution, including that the Bureau of prisons collected while you were incarcerated. The US Probation office was responsible for collecting during your period of supervised release. After probation is complete, the US Attorney’s Office Financial Litigation Unit ensures that the monthly restitution payments are made to the Clerk of the Court. Restitution judgments are in effect and enforced for 20 years beyond the period of incarceration.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

The FindLaw.com Team