Sign in to follow this  
notmyself

Dedicated Private Road

Hello,

My deed states that the street I live on is a Dedicated Private Rd.

What does that mean exactly?

Issue: I live in a neighborhood that has a homeowners association. They widened the road and took off about 3-4 feet of the property line. They do not have easement rights to my property. None, zippo, 0.  The neighbor hood is a very old neighborhood established back in 1925. None of the roads in the area are 30ft wide. They claim they have the rights to widen the road and access my property. The street does not have engineering specifications at the county or township level, because of the private road status. The street I live on has been about 18 ft wide (rural, no traffic, only 2 other houses) since time begin.  Advice?

3 hours ago, notmyself said:

My deed states that the street I live on is a Dedicated Private Rd.

What does that mean exactly?

No way for anyone here to know.  Do you know who wrote up the deed?  If so, ask him/her.

I live in a neighborhood that has a homeowners association. They widened the road and took off about 3-4 feet of the property line. They do not have easement rights to my property.

Ok...this obviously isn't something that could have happened overnight, so when the widening process began and you inquired of the HOA about this, what response did you receive?

They claim they have the rights to widen the road and access my property.

"They" being the HOA board members?  When you asked for the factual and legal basis for this supposed right, what response did you receive?

Advice?

Since we obviously cannot read any of the relevant documents (your deed, the CC&Rs and other HOA governing documents), you should consult with a local real property attorney.