Sign in to follow this  
ELF

Public accommodation and discrimination

The details matter. When you say that it discriminates because of gender, what exactly do mean? You are a member so obviously the problem isn’t that you were denied membership because of your gender. And is the problem that you are a woman and are being treated differently then the men in the club or something different? Exactly what is it that the club is doing?

Understand that federal law does not prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex by places of public accommodation. But Illinois law does prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex and sexual orientation, among other things. So if there is a violation here, it one of state law. You may wish to contact the state Human Rights Commission for help in understanding your rights and what the process is if you feel your rights have been violated.

Hi @ELF

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! As other posters have mentioned, if you can provide us with additional details about the situation at your golf club, the community can offer additional legal direction. You may also want to check out the Learn About the Law materials about gender discrimination.

The FindLaw.com Team

1 hour ago, ELF said:

I belong to golf club that is NOT private. However, it discriminates due to gender.

It would be helpful if you would explain two things.  First, what do you mean that the club "is NOT private"?  You state that you "belong to" the club, which implies some sort of membership situation, and I've never heard of a public golf course having memberships.  Is the "club" owned by a municipality or other public entity?  Second, in what way(s) does the club discriminate based on gender?

1 hour ago, ELF said:

What recourse do I have?

Depends on how the alleged discrimination affects you.

There are certainly golf clubs that have memberships but are not private.  Generally membership entitles you to the privilege of setting tee times in advance of non-members, preference in tee times, reduced greens fees, discounts in the pro shops, etc.  In fact, all twelve of the Championship Clubs at The Villages in Florida (where I am an owner) are membership public courses.  Public membership courses are actually common.