Sign in to follow this  
reggieregg

Defermation of charactor

Was accused of theft from my job ,and arrested on the job in front of my co-workers and none employees. Taken to the police station and questioned .I explained that I did not take anything from the job and I was being falsely charged. My job was to load trucks every night and I was doing my job. The company charged me with theft , then after we were terminated they changed the reason for termination to mishandling product . these procedures are continuously happening do to company error . No one has ever been (termed) for the accusations that were placed on me But in my case I am affiliated with the union so they use that reason to terminate my employment . So now I'm seeking employment and I was told that I have a theft charge on my record and cannot obtain employment in my field , do to these accusation of theft when there was no theft in the first place . Just a reason to terminate my employment , and hinder me from getting employed in my field.  Is there a case that I can file for deformation ????

1 hour ago, reggieregg said:

then after we were terminated they changed the reason for termination to mishandling product .

Who are "we"?  What does "changed the reason" mean?  Changed it on what?

1 hour ago, reggieregg said:

Is there a case that I can file for deformation ?

The word is "defamation."  "Deformation" is something completely different.  And yes, you can sue.  However, if the evidence against you was such that the police arrested you and the prosecutor filed charges against you, you probably won't succeed.  Consult with a local attorney.

Your employer can not make the police arrest you, nor can they make anyone charge you with a crime. They can report the situation to the police, but if it is truly a baseless accusation, the police will not act. It sounds like something happened that was improper. They call it a theft, you call it mishandling company property, but in any case, you are going to have a very difficult time bringing a defamation case, or any other kind of case, since the police as a neutral third party saw fit to arrest you and the state to charge you. If it has gone to trial and you prevailed or charges were dropped, that should go a long way to improving your employment prospects.

You aren't clear why you think you were singled out because you are in a union. Are you the only union member? Has the company made negative comments about your membership? If you have reason to honestly believe this action was only taken because of your union status, contact the NLRB. You can't sue per se, but you can file a charge with them.