FemaleMNworker

Heavier Workload but Equal Pay

I work for a large company and within our department there are 12 supervisors in the same pay grade with the same duties and we all receive a "standard" raise once per year. I am the only female. Over the course of five years I've been given additional responsibilities, led projects, and asked to be on several project teams but my peers have not had to carry the additional workload. When a project team is pulled together, my peers don't show up for the meetings and I end up with their action items and they are allowed to drop out to the point that they do not get asked to participate anymore. When I've spoken to my manager about balancing the workload he has given several answers: He has said that I am the "senior" supervisor although this is not a job title nor have I been there the longest. He has said that others are not as experienced, resourceful, or won't follow through, etc. I've offered to help other supervisors run projects but he still wouldn't assign anyone else additional work. Each time I've spoken to him about the issue, he assigns me more work so I don't bring it up anymore. I am now the only supervisor qualified to do supplemental trainings for the entire department (including other supervisor's direct reports) and I am the only supervisor required to attend management meetings so I do a lot of work alongside people in a higher pay grade. I've brought these issues to our HR generalist three separate times and his only advice has been to speak to my manager again. I'd like to bring this to the head of HR but at this point I'm not sure that will help and there has never been any indication that my treatment is related to my gender. Is this discrimination or do I just have a bad boss? 

Hi @FemaleMNworker

Welcome to the FindLaw Answers forums! Thanks for posting. Check out this Minnesota Department of Human Rights page giving some examples of employment discrimination. FindLaw also has some helpful resources about gender discrimination.

From your description of the facts, it sounds like you have been given increased responsibility and projects because you are the best and most trustworthy employee on your team. It is regrettable that you have not been given a title change or salary increase to reflect these additional responsibilities.

You may want to have a consultation with an employment discrimination attorney to be sure of your rights and option at this point.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team