southern_relo

Workplace Issues for Women

I worked in a private but large employer who seemed to have different standards for women & men. As an example, I was required to move to NY from TX as many of my people worked in NY but had others around the country. Had a male colleague (peer) that was also asked to repo to NYC and believe he did however he was rarely in as he was busy in the field with construction. I heard recently that he was moving to CA. We do not have an office there. The VP of HR said his wife got an opportunity there with work so they were allowing him to move to CA to live and work though his only people reporting to him live & work in NY as well. He had no remote people while I did. Coincidentally after mentioning that I thought this was a problem to the VP of HR along with other workplace issues she told me that she would support me finding other employment and would keep it confidential as long as I told her I was going on an interview and turned in days for that. 

Within a few weeks of this conversation, I was let go for causes that are petty at best and not applied fairly across the organization as a) turning in a vacation day without verbally talking to my boss at 11am the same day was the cause I was given and I had worked from home another day the previous week after experiencing issues with the train commute also not telling my boss. I am 100% certain that I would be a precedent for this reason and have evidence of treatment by my boss where he created an environment where speaking to him or him speaking to me was almost zero as he inherited me from someone else and had no interest in anything I did.

This boss who also informed me that a pregnant employee was unwelcome in our workplace (I have 4 witnesses to that and trail of emails). This boss who told me he only wants to work with his "family" in the business that he knew from Day 1 and had no other interest in adding anyone to this family. The same boss who protected men who behaved badly in full view of others. 

Where do I start? Is this an employment environment complaint or wrongful term? There is much more like starting meetings with blonde jokes & on & on. Help I am a TX transplant to NY and now left here...

Thank you very much

7 minutes ago, pg1067 said:

Feel free to consult with an employment law attorney in your area.  I don't understand the distinction you seem to be making between "an employment environment complaint [and a] wrongful term."

Unsure which direction to go as there are many issues at play and whether I go for wrongful term or harassment or retaliation - I can easily cover all 3

Thanks for your suggestion

To be a wrongful termination you would have to be fired for a reason which is prohibited by law. Nothing you posted indicates that is the case. Being fired for twice not seeking prior approval from your boss before not showing up for work is a legal reason to fire you.

To have a retaliation claim you would have to have filed a complaint regarding an illegal practice or exercised some right and been fired because of it. Again, nothing you shared points in that direction. If you tell us what law you opposed, to whom, and or what right you exercised, we can point you in the right direction.

A supervisor with different job requirements being permitted to work remotely is not in any way indicative of any sort of discrimination against you. It is a business decision and if this guy is a road warrior and you are not, you are not similarly situated and allowing telework in one case and not the other is understandable.

HI @southern_relo

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post. So sorry to hear about your situation. If you believe that your employer treated male employees more favorably than female employees, you may have a case for employment discrimination based on gender. We have a lot of great resources you can check out:

You may wish to either file a claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, speak with an employment attorney, or both.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team