Geraldoct7

communication between landlord and tenant

I have a rent to own property in Detroit, Michigan. In Late July, the landlord called me and told me that if i can come up with x amount of dollars by august, I could have the deed to the house, and that he put in writing on how much i need to pay in order to get the deed in the mail slot at the property. On August 12,2016, I went up to the office with the paper showing how much i needed to bring along with the cash. When I arrived I talked with one of the staff members and she told me that, what was on the paper was how much i owed on rent I failed to pay (mind you the landlord didn't tell me anything about i missed any payments.) She called the landlord, and I spoke with him and he raised the price and said give me what you have now plus $500 for the deed, etc. So I asked her to print out my Paperwork on all that I paid on since I got the property in September of 2015. On the paperwork, it showed i missed April and may of 2016 and July and august of 2016. I didn't pay July because I thought i paid it the week prior to the first of July and somehow the money went back into my account and nobody told me anything. And I didn't pay august because i was paying the x amount for the deed. so i asked the office employee where was April and May rent and she said, "well we talked on the phone back in February and you told me I could put towards the back taxes." I replied I never authorized any payments to go towards my back taxes. and she got irate and said, "You know what your wasting my time," and i replied, "fine take me to court. Can the Landlord do that? What should my next step be?

I didn't pay in July because when I paid a week prior to the first the money somehow came back to my account and when i found out it wasn't paid the landlord called and told me how much to bring and he put it in writing and put it at the residence

And i don't care what he do with the rent money after i paid it I have a problem when i check my status on how much i have left on the property and it shows i miss months that i paid for and can pull up receipts showing i paid the month.

HI @Geraldoct7

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! So sorry to hear about your situation with your landlord. It sounds like there may have been some poor communication/confusion between your landlord and the management company. We have a helpful blog post about the rent-to-own process that you may want to check out.

As RetiredinVA mentioned, real estate sales must be in writing, so if your landlord is offering a certain amount for the deed, that should be explicitly laid out in writing (not just the figure, but all terms of the sale). If the management company believes that you have not paid rent for every month, then they can commence eviction proceedings after giving the proper notice. If you have not yet paid July rent due to the mixup you described in your post, you should likely come current. Regarding April and May, if you can provide documentation that you paid those months' rent, then that will be a defense to an eviction.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

The FindLaw.com Team

There has to be a basis for the eviction.  Typically it will be failure to pay rent.  Other reasons may include termination of the lease by proper notice, or termination because of the expiration of the term of the lease.  A defense is any evidence that proves that the reason for the eviction is not sustained.  In this case if you are being evicted because it is alleged that you failed to pay the rent fully and on time, you may prove that you did pay the rent as required.  That would defeat the eviction action.