Sign in to follow this  
bluehorizons

Quit Claim deed in error

I transferred a piece of land on the east side of the road to my ex husband in a  divorce. It was not surveyed but was part of our original land and had survey pins and thr road was a boundary- plus or minus 15 acres.The lawyers receptionist drew up a quit claim deed which did not close the property on 4 sides but wandered over across the road. As a consequence it went to the tax map dept and they gave my ex 3 acres on the other side of the road unbeknownst to me  until I went to sell it and discovered the error. He will not sign off on the new deed and claims I "owe" him that land because it says in the divorce settlement 15 acres - no description of that piece of land and no plus or minus. That 15 acres just refers to the parcel not actual acreage which in fact turned out to be 12 acres. Again he wanted the parcel and chose no survey.My lawyer is dragging this out - its been one year.

1 hour ago, bluehorizons said:

The lawyers receptionist drew up a quit claim deed

Whose lawyer?  Yours?  Your ex's?

1 hour ago, bluehorizons said:

they gave my ex 3 acres on the other side of the road unbeknownst to me

That makes no sense.  Employees at "the tax map dept" have no ability to "give" anyone anything.

As noted in the prior response, you didn't ask a question.  However, it seems obvious that you need a lawyer to review your divorce decree and the deed you signed (apparently without reviewing it for accuracy) and advise you how to fix whatever screw-up(s) happened.  If your "lawyer is dragging this out" (and I obviously don't know what you mean by that), then you may want to consider retaining a new attorney and may want to obtain an opinion about whether your lawyer committed malpractice.

Hi @bluehorizons

Welcome and thanks for your post. Sorry to hear about the confusion with your property division. It sounds like you may already be working with an attorney, but essentially to sort this out you will need to go back to the family court to have the wording of the final divorce judgment interpreted and enforced. If you are not happy with your current family law attorney, you can use our Lawyer Directory to search for a new one, or click here for a free case evaluation.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team