AugustAngel

Advice Needed

5 posts in this topic

We traded in our single wide mobile home to Oakwood Homes.  They asked us to get it ready to move, so my husband removed the porch and steps.  Then Oakwood decided to show the home from our property and posted ads online.  The problem is, with no steps people have to climb about three feet into and out of the home.  My concern is that someone is going to get hurt and that we will get sued.  Can we protect ourselves by placing some sort of sign over there, or what should we do?  If it matters, we live in WV.

2 hours ago, AugustAngel said:

We traded in our single wide mobile home to Oakwood Homes.  They asked us to get it ready to move, so my husband removed the porch and steps.  Then Oakwood decided to show the home from our property and posted ads online.  The problem is, with no steps people have to climb about three feet into and out of the home.  My concern is that someone is going to get hurt and that we will get sued.  Can we protect ourselves by placing some sort of sign over there, or what should we do?  If it matters, we live in WV.

We didn't know they would decide to show the house, so we did not know that anyone would need inside. They had told us to get it ready to move to their lot so that they could get it ready to sell, so that is what we did. 

We traded in our single wide mobile home to [a company, which] asked us to get it ready to move, so my husband removed the porch and steps.  Then [the company] decided to show the home from our property and posted ads online.

I can't tell from your post who actually owns the home (or the property on which it sits) at this time.  Nor did you indicate anything about insurance coverage.

Can we protect ourselves by placing some sort of sign over there, or what should we do?

Any adult or older child who isn't a complete and total moron will know that climbing up three feet to access a mobile home carries some risk, so I'm really not sure what sort of sign you might be contemplating (nor do I have any idea what "over there" means).  Therefore, it's impossible to assess whether any sign might have any legal impact.  All that said, the most plainly obvious thing to do to minimize the risk of injury is to put appropriate steps in place.

Hi @AugustAngel

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! You are wise to take steps to ensure that people on your property are safe...property owners can be liable for injuries that occur. As PG mentioned, you do not mention who actually owns the mobile home. This issue may be slightly complicated by the fact that you do not own the land, and may not own the mobile home.

However, presuming that you do own the land/home, a landowner has a duty to keep their home safe and prevent injury. The level of this duty is going to depend on if the person on the land is an invitee, a licensee, or a trespasser.  For those who are invited onto the land, or who contract with the owner, the land owner must take reasonable care to keep them safe (which may include putting up warning signs, etc.).

As PG also mentioned, you may want to speak with your insurance carrier about this issue. Homeowner/renter insurance and/or umbrella liability coverage can go a long way towards protecting you from liability after an accident.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team