Hello all,

Im not sure if this is the right category or not but here's my question.  

My brother has a son who is 31 yrs old and living at home.  The man wont get a job, do anything around the house, sleeps all day, out all night and walks around the house like he owns it, intimidating (bullying) both my brother and his wife.   In short, he is a good for nothing freeloader.  My brother has asked him to leave but he will not budge.  He is very sick with breathing issues and cannot take much more.   What are his legal options if any?

thank you very much

Your brother should consult a local landlord-tenant attorney to take the necessary legal steps to evict his son.  It will involve giving formal notice to the son and filing the appropriate legal action in the local court.  The parents can than request the assistance of the sheriff in removing the son.  It cold be a do-it-yourself project but is probably best entrusted to an experienced professional.

Hi @nicefella3

Thanks for posting! We have a helpful blog post on the topic of evicting an adult child. If your nephew is not paying rent, he is a trespasser, and your brother has the option of calling the police to have him removed. If your nephew is paying rent, as RetiredinVA mentioned, your brother can commence eviction proceedings. He may want to consider consulting with a local landlord/tenant attorney to determine how best to proceed.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

The FindLaw.com Team