Hi.

I filed chapter 13 a little over a year ago.  I now wish to convert to a chapter 7, as the car that I was trying to hold onto via the Chapter 13 is falling apart. I have contacted my lawyer 3 times about this since August 17th.  A couple of questions were answered in one email, but I have not had any response to my follow up on August 24th.  I want to find a new lawyer, but I guess it is not as straightforward as I thought it would be.  Can someone please tell me what steps I must take to find a more responsive attorney.  I feel like we could be so far into the process already as I don't think it is that complicated. My Chapter 13 certainly wasn't.

Thank you ahead for your help.

Donna

Thank you

9 minutes ago, pg1067 said:

You're free to hire a new lawyer at any time.  Once you find a new lawyer you like, he/she will make appropriate arrangements with your current attorney and the court to substitute in place of the current attorney.

pg1067.  I called one attorney, and he said that it would be a conflict?  That I had to ask my attorney to remove himself??

Hi @dmm2009

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! For help finding a new bankruptcy attorney in Massachusetts, you can use our lawyer directory. Many offer free consultations, and once you have found a lawyer you would like to retain, he or she will help you in substituting out your previous counsel and substituting in your new attorney.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team

On 9/6/2016 at 0:24 PM, dmm2009 said:

I called one attorney, and he said that it would be a conflict?  That I had to ask my attorney to remove himself?

Then contact another because you certainly would not want an attorney so ignorant that he believes these things.

On 9/8/2016 at 0:40 PM, FindLaw_RE said:

Hi @dmm2009

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! For help finding a new bankruptcy attorney in Massachusetts, you can use our lawyer directory. Many offer free consultations, and once you have found a lawyer you would like to retain, he or she will help you in substituting out your previous counsel and substituting in your new attorney.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team

Thank you for contacting me.  I have reached out to 3 different attorneys from the directory in the above message. In short, I have received the following (or very similar) in return:

Hi Donna,

Thank you for contacting me about your case. I am sorry to learn that you have had a break down with your prior attorney.

At this time, I am not able to take on your case.

I wish you all the best in the future.

XXX

I am at a loss.  Does anyone know if I can do this conversion without the help of an attorney?

Thank you.

Donna

On 9/10/2016 at 0:05 PM, dmm2009 said:

Does anyone know if I can do this conversion without the help of an attorney?

It's legal for you to be self-represented in a bankruptcy, but we have no way of knowing what you're capable of doing.

Did you manage to hire a new lawyer? Was there any conflict? My friend is also stucked up in the same situation. He is looking for the new lawyers to hire and solve the legal matter. To hire the new one, he is reading reviews from different social media platforms. This thread is helpful for him. Would definitely suggest him to go through this once.