Sign in to follow this  
Xtermy

Noisy Pool Pumps on Neighbor’s Property and My Options

Hello,

I live in Austin, TX. My neighbor has 2 pool pumps on his property, one for his pool and the other one for his hot tub. The pool pump makes noise that is comparable to that of an A/C compressor (about 50 decibels), but it seems to have a higher pitch, thus it penetrates through my windows more easily. When only the pool pump works, it almost cannot be heard if I sit in a farther bedroom and close all windows and doors. Keep in mind, though, that this pump works an average of 8 hours a day, 365 days a year, from morning till late afternoon. However, if it is the hot tub pump that turns on, then it can be heard even with all windows and doors closed, emitting an annoying humming noise. Therefore, that pump is the main issue. This has effectively made it impossible for me to be in the bedroom with the window that faces the pumps, and I can’t imagine anyone being able to sleep in that room while it is on. The pumps are located right under that bedroom’s window, and the distance between our 2 houses is very small, so the noise seems to bounce back and forth between them. If someone from his house uses the hot tub late at night, then it makes relaxing and going to sleep difficult, although lately they made an effort to finish all activities until 10:30 pm (when the city noise ordinance kicks in).

I did reach out to my neighbor about this, and he has really tried to help, by cleaning and maintaining the pumps on a regular basis. He even agreed to dampen the noise using some plastic mixed with Styrofoam (which cost me about $150) but it caused the pumps to overheat, and so right now the pumps are not dampened once again. In addition, he has requested some quotes from contractors that may be able to build a different structure around the pumps. On my end, I received a quote for insulating my windows (which will cost me about $1,800), and I’m waiting the result of his quotes first.

I do need to mention that while both of our houses are brand new, he and his family moved-in earlier than we did, and so the pool and spa were already there when we were building our own house. It’s just that at the time of our home’s construction they didn’t seem like they would be such a big issue for me. I mention this, because I read an article here on FindLaw.com regarding Property Rights and The Law of Nuisance. An interesting bit in this article is called the “moving to the nuisance” doctrine, whereby if I willingly moved close to the source of the nuisance, and it was already there first, then I may be restricted from seeking injunctive relief. Perhaps this is the case here, I don’t know, and I hope someone can tell me one way or the other, and perhaps offer me some useful advice. Is there anything else I can do, other than soundproofing my bedroom, moving to another room, or moving to another house? Is there justifiable cause here for a nuisance lawsuit, or for an injunction?

Thank you!

As a Hot tub owner of 17 years, I've never seen or heard of a Hot Tub pump making that much noise without there being something wrong with the pump, Bad bearing etc. They usually don't last very long  when they reach that stage. When on a filter cycle, they barely hum. I can't understand how it could be that loud.

Hi @Xtermy

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! Sorry to hear about your neighbor's noisy hot tub pump. It sounds like a positive thing that your neighbor is willing to work with you on this. As spummerr mentioned, a hot tub pump that loud sounds unusual. Has your neighbor had the pump serviced to ensure that it is functioning properly?

Since you and your neighbor are cooperating, it may be the best solution to try to find the least expensive way to fix the problem. It sounds like you have already browsed the FindLaw materials about nuisance! You can speak with a lawyer about filing a nuisance lawsuit and/or seeking an injunction, however, it may increase hostility between you and your neighbor.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

The FindLaw.com Team

Thanks guys. I don't know if this noise is extraordinary or not. Maybe I'm just very sensitive? My neighbor did tell me that his vendor has stated that he has one of the quietest models (relative to horse power). His pump is 3 HP, so maybe that is the cause. Also, he did have the vendor replace the motor of at least his pool pump not too long ago, so it did seem to have some positive effect. I will indeed keep you posted!

I am resident of Lake Worth, in the county of West Palm Beach.  I have the same problem, or maybe worse, because my neighbor doesn't care and he had no intention of correcting the tremendous nuisance.   My neighbor had a pool pump installed at around 8 feet from my patio, and at around 15 from my patio glass door.     The pump runs at around 68 DB for 8 hours, usually from 11AM to 7PM.   I believe you can imagine how inhuman this is.   For these 8 hours we Can’t use our patio, and we need to stay indoors and prisoners in our own home.      I ended up buying my neighbor a $1,500 variable pool pump.   In California the Pool Pump Nuisance Ordinance was change to 50db....which is a very fair.   However, in West Palm Beach Florida, it is still 68DB, which is inhuman if you consider that a pump runs for 8 hours....again, very unfair and abusive.      Please let me know,  how did you ended up fixing your problem?