act0711

Victims rights for murder victims families

Almost 4 years ago my fiancé and father of our infant son was murdered in front of myself, my daughter and her boyfriend by his 23 year old son. He took a plea bargain for manslaughter. Long story short he is in the process of being released. My question is, can he be held liable for damages that I have incurred since the murder? I have severe PTSD, anxiety, panic disorder, tremors and nightmares. The PTSD has also manifested into fibromyalgia and high blood pressure. The parole board lost my information so I was never notified of the hearing and he was granted parole. Since finding out my health issues have escalated severely. So is there any civil actions I can take to hold him accountable for what I have suffered? Thank you so much 

If I understand your situation, your fiance was murdered by his son four years ago. You witnessed the murder.  Unfortunately, you were not related to the victim nor married to him.  Therefore, I doubt you have any claim for damages for wrongful death.  Also, the statute of limitations for personal injury in Maryland is three years so any claim you may have had has probably expired.  Your infant son may have a claim, however, since the victim was his father.   As a practical matter, however, I doubt any recovery would be worth anything.  How much money does the murderer have now or is reasonably expected to have in the foreseeable future?

Hi @act0711

Welcome to the FindLaw community and thanks for your post. So sorry for the loss of your fiancé. You may want to speak with an attorney about filing a civil action against your fiancé's killer. As RetiredinVA mentioned, you may not qualify to bring a wrongful death suit because your fiancé was not your husband or otherwise related to you. However, you may be able to bring an action on behalf of your son. RetiredinVA is correct that the statute of limitations for wrongful death is 3 years from the death, so that claim may not be available to you. However, there may be other causes of action available, such as intentional infliction of emotional distress.

To find an attorney in your area, you can use the FindLaw lawyer directory.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team