My step dad has been my dad and in my life for 27 years. His father, my step grandfather passed away. I took 3 days bereavement pay under grandparent, per my Cba from work . Upon receiving my paycheck, my bereavement pay was missing, when asked why I had not received my pay I was told because he was not related to me. 

My Cba states: 

To provide proof of relationship to immediate family as follows....

Grandparent.  3 days...

However, the obituary states me as a granddaughter... I provided said obituary but someone told my Human Resource I am not related, so they refuse to pay me.

Do I have any legal rights to this bereavement leave?

Sorry, I see the state now. Michigan does not require that employers provide bereavement leave, either paid or unpaid. It is entirely up to the employer whether to provide leave or not and if so, for what relationships it will be paid or even permitted.

Yes, my employer does provide barevement leave pay for parents, grand parents ect.. I am a step granddaughter however his obituary says I'm his granddaughter.  The obituary is needed to prove immediate family.. i.e. granddaughter, parent ect.  Which I provided. 

However because someone told management at my place if employment that I was not related. So, even though I provided an obituary stating I'm his granddaughter, they refuse to pay me for the bereavement leave. Is there any merit to this? They can just decide to not pay me although I provided the necessary documents asked for..? 

Because another person said I wasn't related or even if they knew I was only a step granddaughter, doesn't the obituary, that was asked for per my handbook, over ride what they know or heard?

Also, I am UAW if that makes a difference. My union is fighting this but I would like to know if I have the right to the paid leave ...

The facts are 1) he is not your grandfather, and 2) your company does not provide bereavement pay for the loss of a step-grandfather.  Anyone can write anything in an obituary, and it isn't as if the newspaper fact checks what is stated in the obituaries it publishes so I don't know why you rely on an obituary as a "necessary document."  Why do you insist on getting a benefit based on a lie?

This is going to be totally up to your CBA. The obituary notice does not mean a thing unless your union/employer say it does. If step-grandparents are not covered, they are not covered. If you explain to whomever has the final say that this is someone you grew up with as a grandparent, as opposed to the parent of someone currently married to your mother, with whom you had no meaningful relationship, they might be inclined to count it.

Needless to say, we have no idea what your union's CBA says, but your stepfather's father is, in fact, not related to you.  That someone published false information in an obituary is completely irrelevant.

Hi @Ann329

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! So sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather. You've already gotten some great direction from the legal community. Does your employer have a written policy for bereavement leave excluding step-families? In addition to working through your union, you may want to consider speaking with an employment attorney.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

The FindLaw.com Team