Sign in to follow this  
Moniker419

Sex between Minors

I have been having ongoing issues with visitation with my kids. Most recently my ex-wife encouraged my daughter to refuse to going with me for visitation, she is 12 years old. About a month back I was asked by my ex to have a talk with one of my daughters concerning inappropriate pictures between her and a boy that is 14. Since then my ex has become friends with this boys parents and so allowed a relationship to continue. My daughter wanted to go to a baby shower for one of this boys family members. Being my weekend for visitation and not approving of a relationship with this boy I told her she would not be able to go. My ex then influenced my daughter that she did not have to go with me that weekend because her mom didn't force her to go with her Dad. So now I receive a call saying that they someone how got alone and had sex. The local police say there is nothing illegal or criminal that can be done because of their age. I only wish I had money for an attorney, but after child support I am left with just enough to live on. I am currently trying to save money for a consultation and retainer for a lawyer but don't see this being done in a timely manner. Legal aide says I make to much and doesn't consider child support as a deduction. What can I do to ensure the welfare and well being of my kids to have the proper guidance in life. My ex leaves them home alone while she works cause my oldest will be 14 this year.

The only legal issue you raise in your message is whether your daughter can refuse to visit on your allotted days.  If your visitation schedule is specified in a court-ordered parenting plan, then she cannot refuse visitation, no matter how much "influence" her mother wields over her choices.  If that's what's happening, your recourse is to file an action for enforcement of your custody order in the court that issued it.  If there is no such schedule to enforce, you need to obtain one.

Whether your adolescent daughter is sexually active, and if so what to do about it, is a parenting matter you need to discuss with her mother and if necessary a competent family counselor.  Your daughter's primary care physician can make appropriate referrals.

Whether to leave the kids at home alone depends on a number of factors, including the age and maturity level of the children, how long they'll be unsupervised, the environment in which they're left, and the proximity of help should it be needed.  The law generally (and rightly) considers this a judgment call best left to the parents.  Again, this is something to discuss with the other parent.

if your ex-wife allows your twelve year old daughter to have sex with a fourteen year old boy, you should call child protective services.  The minimum age for sex with a minor is thirteen provided the other party is less than four years older.

Hi @Moniker419

Welcome to the Answers community! Thanks for posting your question. Doucar has some helpful suggestions of some options available to you. It can be really difficult to navigate the family law system without the assistance of counsel. And family law lawyers and the entire family law process are expensive! Some counties have family law self-help centers that can provide you with the appropriate forms and legal information. If there comes a point where you are ready to meet with an attorney, you can use our Lawyer Directory to find one.

Best of luck and let us know if you have additional questions!

The FindLaw.com Team