Sign in to follow this  
Jan58

Required payments during divorce

I am in a crunch. Terrible with research!

How can I find the legal requirement for my husband, who has all of the income, to make the payments on my vehicle while we are going through the divorce process.

Hi @Jan58

Thanks for posting your question! The divorce process can be frustrating and overwhelming. Happily, the family law section of our Learn About the Law materials have great resources for self-represented litigants. We also have state-specific materials about Colorado.

Are you currently receiving alimony? It may be a wise course of action for you to seek alimony, and then you will have the resources to make your car payment. Have you met with a family law attorney? Seeking spousal support and/or filing a motion that your husband be responsible for car payments while the divorce is pending will likely require the assistance of competent counsel.

If you need help finding a Colorado family law attorney, you can use our Lawyer Directory. Many offer free consultations, and can also assist you in asking for an award of attorney's fees from your husband to equal the playing field in the dissolution action. You can also click here for a free case evaluation and consultation with a family law attorney.

Best of luck and let us know if you have additional questions!

The FindLaw.com Team

I have been going through the divorce for a while. See "Divorce and ALL marital property". I have not been able to get a lawyer. No they don't offer free consultations. The Free consultations on the website expire the second you contact them.

I know there is a law that requires him to make all payments during the divorce. I just can't find it.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Jan58 said:

How can I find the legal requirement for my husband, who has all of the income, to make the payments on my vehicle while we are going through the divorce process.

No such requirement exists unless the court orders it.

2 hours ago, Jan58 said:

I know there is a law that requires him to make all payments during the divorce.

How is it that you think you "know" this?

Hi @Jan58

Sorry about that, I didn't recognize your screen name. Looks like LegalWriter was able to offer some direction in the form of a statute authorizing the court to make temporary orders regarding the payment of debt while the divorce is pending. Echoing what LegalWriter suggested, you can file a motion asking the court to make this order, and cite C.R.S. 14-10-108 in support of your motion.

If you are not able to work with an attorney, the Colorado judicial branch website offers helpful flowcharts and fillable forms. FindLaw also offers downloadable divorce packages and divorce solution forms.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team