Sign in to follow this  
jmoegirls

Wage change, termination, vacation pay

Terminated 8/8/16.  Worked with company of 4 for 17 years.  Salaried employee making $1260 biweekly until 6/30/16 when salary was dropped to $1200 biweekly without notice.  Out on sick leave since 6/20/16.  Still available by phone to consult with co-workers during this time.  FMLA does not have to be applied because of size of company.  No insurance benefits.  Earned and accumulated 160 hours of vacation still due.  Can they not pay me for vacation?  Also, was it legal that they cut my salary without notification?  Thanks.

The poster is in MO.  It says so right at the top.  MO doesn't require an employer to pay accrued vacation pay upon termination but, according to the department of labor, "an employee has the right to attempt recovery of earned vacation time through the courts."

On 8/20/2016 at 8:10 PM, cbg said:

Maybe it's different browsers but I'm not seeing a state anywhere, even after you pointed it out.

@cbg What browser are you using? You are not able to see the "Missouri" tag directly below the words "Started by jmoegirls, Saturday at 12:30 PM"?

The FindLaw.com Team

Capture.PNG

5 minutes ago, FindLaw_RE said:

@cbg What browser are you using? You are not able to see the "Missouri" tag directly below the words "Started by jmoegirls, Saturday at 12:30 PM"?

The FindLaw.com Team

In fairness, the state tag is rather small and placed above the large blue bar that tops the first post in the thread. That location is not where I would first expect to look for the state information, but rather I'd first look to see it in the first post of the thread. IMO if it were prominently featured there that would be the best spot for it. Alternatively, if you keep it where it is, at least make it bigger and more noticeable. As it is now, it is kind of easy to overlook.

Just now, Tax_Counsel said:

In fairness, the state tag is rather small and placed above the large blue bar that tops the first post in the thread. That location is not where I would first expect to look for the state information, but rather I'd first look to see it in the first post of the thread. IMO if it were prominently featured there that would be the best spot for it. Alternatively, if you keep it where it is, at least make it bigger and more noticeable. As it is now, it is kind of easy to overlook.

@Tax_Counsel
  Thanks for the input!

Hi @jmoegirls

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! So sorry to hear about the loss of your job. Some states require notice of a reduction in pay, as well as a pay-out of vacation time upon termination. You can learn more about your rights as an employee after termination here.

Best of luck and let us know if you have additional questions!

The FindLaw.com Team