Sign in to follow this  
flyboytwa

2nd deposit

My landlady has increased my rent, but has asked for a second security deposit because she spent my deposit on what, I don't know.  I do not have a lease but pay month to month.  Is it legal for her to demand a second deposit.  I am also disabled.  Thanks for your help.

55 minutes ago, flyboytwa said:

My landlady . . . has asked for a second security deposit

55 minutes ago, flyboytwa said:

Is it legal for her to demand a second deposit.

Did she ask or did she demand?  Doesn't really make a difference.  It's perfectly legal for her to do either, and you are free to decline.

56 minutes ago, flyboytwa said:

I do not have a lease but pay month to month.

Which means that "the landlord . . . may terminate [your] tenancy by [giving you] a written notice . . . stating that the tenancy shall terminate upon a periodic rent-paying date not less than one month after the receipt of the notice."  See Missouri Revised Statutes, section 441.0060(4)(1).  In other words, if you pay your rent on the first of the month, she can give you a notice any time between now and the end of August for the tenancy to terminate as of October 1.

3 hours ago, flyboytwa said:

My landlady has increased my rent, but has asked for a second security deposit because she spent my deposit on what, I don't know.  I do not have a lease but pay month to month.  Is it legal for her to demand a second deposit.  I am also disabled.  Thanks for your help.

Read the Missouri security deposit statute.

http://law.justia.com/codes/missouri/2015/title-xxxvi/chapter-535/section-535.300/

You might print that out and remind your LL that she will still owe you the deposit even if she doesn't have it and she can be sued for double the amount of the deposit if she doesn't return it in accordance with the statute.

I don't think your disability is relevant to the issues at hand.