Babysis

Four Times is The Charm

My grandson visited some friends; shook hands with someone, then was arrested for distribution.  When he was searched, all that was retrieved was $5.00, a pack cigarettes and my cell phone. The arresting officer stated that he had witnessed him making a drug transaction.  No dope or any quantifiable amount of money was found on him.  He has gone to 3 preliminary hearings, in the span of 4 months; at which time the arresting officer has NEVER shown up and the Judge, himself, kept extending the trial.  On the fourth time, the officer finally did show at which time the Judge has now decided that he has evidence enough to charge my grandson with distribution.  Now, his lawyer, from the Public Defenders office has NOT done ONE thing with regards to defending my grandson's rights.  When the officer did not show the first two times, the third time the lawyer should have argued for a dismal of all charges.  Do you think we should just get a real lawyer - one who will fight for my grandson?  How can you have probable cause if you found NOTHING?  No money and no drugs?  Tell me how?

23 minutes ago, Babysis said:

My grandson visited some friends; shook hands with someone, then was arrested for distribution.  When he was searched, all that was retrieved was $5.00, a pack cigarettes and my cell phone. The arresting officer stated that he had witnessed him making a drug transaction.  No dope or any quantifiable amount of money was found on him.

Just so were clear, you weren't personally present for any of these events and are merely relaying what your grandson told you.  Right?

23 minutes ago, Babysis said:

Now, his lawyer, from the Public Defenders office has NOT done ONE thing with regards to defending my grandson's rights.  When the officer did not show the first two times, the third time the lawyer should have argued for a dismal of all charges.

On what basis?  What legal authority do you think exists that would support dismissal of the charges for this reason?  It's also worth pointing out that, according to you, he wasn't charged until after the fourth hearing.  If that's correct, then there wasn't anything to dismiss before then.  What else, if anything, do you think the PD should have done "with regards to defending [your] grandson's rights"?

25 minutes ago, Babysis said:

Do you think we should just get a real lawyer - one who will fight for my grandson?

There is no "we" here (assuming, of course, your grandson is an adult).  Of course, the question makes no sense.  The PD is no less of a "real lawyer" than any other lawyer.  That said, if you have the means to pay a private attorney to defend your grandson, you're free to do that.

27 minutes ago, Babysis said:

How can you have probable cause if you found NOTHING?  No money and no drugs?  Tell me how?

These are pointless questions for people who know nothing about the situation other than your second or third-hand story, which may or may not be accurate or complete.  Certainly, if nothing happened other than your grandson shaking hands with a friend while in possession of legal items (again, I'm assuming he's an adult such that possessing cigarettes was legal), then this shouldn't have gotten to this point.  That it has gotten to this point tells me that there's more to this than you know and have shared with us.

Hi @Babysis

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! So sorry to hear about your grandson's situation. You may want to sit down with a criminal defense attorney to get another opinion on your grandson's case, and legal strategy options. Click here for a free consultation and case evaluation with a criminal attorney.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

The FindLaw.com Team

29 minutes ago, pg1067 said:

That it has gotten to this point tells me that there's more to this than you know and have shared with us.

I'm wondering what happened with the people with whom he shook hands. Did they get arrested? Were drugs found in their possession within minutes after the police witnessed the tableau? And why were the police there watching the activity in the first place? Yeah, lots of unanswered questions about the event.