AllForEqualityChick22

Falsely arrested and put through hell, please help educate me on how to conquer this.

I'm a 21 year old female from Oregon and an honors graduate. I never imagined myself where I'm at right now and I really need some help. I have never been in legal trouble before and therefore have little knowledge in the nature of such a complex, dynamic bitch we call the system. Therefore I need your help and guidance. Any direction at all is appreciated. Here is my story..

Late March I was traveling 160 miles down the coast with all my belongings in the car packed tightly, ready to settle in Portland, OR to start a new chapter in life. I had a friend in the surrounding area and when they heard I was heading that direction they asked if I could pick them up and give them a ride because home was in the direction I was heading through Oregon. I accepted and on arrival my friend pointed out how exhausted I looked and insisted I let them drive. When asked they claimed to have their license, of course this was BS and my habit of wanting to believe others value peoples lives as much as I do buries me again. I allowed him to drive and as we headed down I5 a West Linn police officer coming from the other direction did a U-turn and pulled us over for the headlights being on (no this was not my friend setting me up and yes the highbeams were intended to be on due to one of my headlights suddenly going out and me improvising and not wanting to get pulled over). The officer approached the vehicle and told us about the highbeams and claiming that to be the reason for the stop, and didn't ask but more so confirmed with the guy driving that he was not licensed. Before walking away he stated that he also ran the plates and saw my Jeep wasn't insured. This is when I piped up from the passenger seat and said in the recent months I went from a 6 month policy to a month to month basis on my dads insurance and I couldn't imagine him not notifying me if something as crucial as my insurance being cut off happened, but apologized and said I would communicate with my dad and correct this before I got on the road again. I had showed him my old paper from 3 months prior showing the 6 month policy to back up part of what I was saying. He walked away and minutes later appeared on my side of the car, asking that I step out and talk to him. I ignorantly did so and was bombarded with questions such as "are there any drugs in the car, do you or your friend do drugs, is that your boyfriend", etc. When asked I told him there absolutely was not any drugs in the car and admitted to once having a prescription pain medication addiction, sharing my views on what toxicity drug addiction can bring in ones life and how my reason for moving to the area was partly to do with wanting to be away from the same surrounding that I was in during such a dark time. He asked the last time I took pills and I told him it had been months, that I had finally conquered my pill addiction. This was true, not that it matters. He asked for permission to search my vehicle. I denied this request but told him "I'm not sure the correct terminology you guys use but you may do the search procedure where you walk around my car and look in all the windows". He replied with "Well if there's no drugs in the car why won't you give me consent?". I told him the car had all my belongings packed tightly inside, it was unnecessary to tear it all apart. Immediately after saying this he tells me to turn around and says false claim of liability insurance is a misdemeanor and for that reason he handcuffs me and detains me in the back of the car. I watch through the windshield as my friend is pulled outside the vehicle and the officer begins searching through my car, so intensely in fact that I watched my stuff fly through the air and land in the dirt. Another officer shows up and before I know it there is 6 police at the scene and my car is being towed. Inside my purse in the car a pouch was containing drugs was found. Heroin, Meth, and a prescription bottle of 15mg Oxycodone. This prescription belonged to the guy with me and was something I was asked to pick up in my hometown before leaving because usually he traveled there once a month to see his doctor and get his pills, due to him not coming to town that month he asked me to pick up the paper script (if you are put on a list you can do something like this for someone) and fill it at the pharmacy so I could bring them to him when I traveled his way. I had this bottle in a zebra print pouch I threw in my purse to head up there and had handed this to him on arrival. The police informed me an array of drugs were found inside a zebra print zipper pouch in my purse.  I quickly figure out a few more items had been added to a pouch that once contained just his medicine and was thrown in my purse when I was pulled aside from my vehicle. THIS IS SOMETHING I STILL HAVE NOT CLAIMED TO HAVE BEEN THE CASE. I had several thoughts run through my head when I was told what was found, including making the excuse for him that maybe he had these things were in his pocket and he removed them in fear that they would pull him out and search his pockets due to his record and him being the driver. Not thinking it would be bad on me. Despite his name being on the script my fingerprints were on the bottle and probably not his. I didnt know what else was added to the bag exactly but what I did know was that these things were found in my purse and it looked bad on me at that moment. Either way I'm a fairly smart girl and am usually pretty quick to think of many variables on the spot.  I didn't say much at all after that point because I wasn't sure what to do, but I did explain to them I was allowed to pick up his prescription and that could be verified with his doctors office, which apparently my friend had said too. They refused to believe us, saying him and I were lying and it wasn't helping anyone. They told me I was being charged with PCS and DCS of Oxycodone (DCS for finding baggies in the pouch), PCS of heroin, PCS of meth, and false claim of liability insurance to a police officer. They were going to give my friend the same charges except for the insurance one. During the arrest they offered both of us the chance to be freed of some or all of the charges in exchange of doing 3 controlled buys. I declined their offer immediately while my friend accepted. I was taken to jail and held for 12 hours before being released due to overcrowding. I had no clue where I was and had no phone because they took mine out of my purse and kept it, which was nowhere on my item inventory list. I was able to get a cab to the place my car was impounded and luckily was able to borrow the portion of the $375 it cost to get out I couldnt cover. The police kept my old insurance paper on top of everything and I had to spend half the day at the tow yard until I had my brother back home 150 miles away break open my safe and take a picture of a document tying my name to the car to get them to release it to me. I found seeral of priceless antiques and other things damaged from this search.

The following month at the arraignment, my friend and I were scheduled for court the same day as you could guess. The D.A. dropped his case and all charges completely, while all mine remained. It is obvious he agreed to testify against me, although he denies it to the end. 

The trial date was set for the following month and was around 4th of July, traffic was so heavy I was at a stop on the freeway many times. I called the courthouse and asked I be put at the end of the docket and explained why I would be a little late. When I arrived I was directed to courtroom 5 where when I entered there was one lady on a computer. I was asked my name and she told me I hadn't even been on the docket that day because a disposition had never been filed on me. I was told to confirm my address with the D.A.'s office and that they could pick my case back up anytime in the next 2 years.

2 and a half weeks later while at my friends house in my hometown, the police had been in the area and had saw my car outside so they came to the door to arrest me for a "failure to appear". I spent just under 3 days in Florence jail, where it was the absolute worst. There was hardly ever an officer there to check on the inmates and I spent the first 24 hours broken out in hives miserable with an allergic reaction due to my allergy to tags on clothing and the jumpsuit material that made it act up. There was nobody there from the time lunch was served until a late dinner finally came on my second day when after I ate lunch I had my toilet get backed up and water pour out everywhere, getting my blankets wet and the bottom of my pants on the jumpsuit (which I was already wearing only halfway on due to the tag causing an allergic reaction). I sat in the cell freezing cold with no blankets and water all over the floor for around 5-6 hours before the sergeant finally showed up with other officers and had immediately checked on me, shocked and appauled by what he found.  I was practically happy the next night when I was finally moved to Lane county for 24 hours, and from there I spent 4 days in Clackamas county until I was released last Wednesday after being matrixed out, once again for overcrowding.

Between what I believe was improper search of my car, the fact stuff was found in a separate container (my purse) which was also in a separate container which constitutes special warrants, the false arrest for failure to appear, and the foul and dehumanizing treatment in Florence jail don't I have something to work with? Please help, I realize this was ridiculously long but my story has many angles and I want all the help I can get.

Thank you

When you didn't have proof of current insurance and the driver of your vehicle didn't have a valid license and you were on an interstate where the car could not be safely left, the officer had the right to tow it.  When cops have the right to tow, they can do a full inventory search the vehicle and every container in it.  As to rest of your questions peppered in that long post, I would strongly suggest that you consult a local criminal defense attorney ASAP.

10 hours ago, Trump27 said:

Are you in county or prison,or the streets? This sounds like a horrible predicament. Sorry to see this happen to you

Any particular reason you thought resurrecting a nine month old thread was a good idea?

13 minutes ago, Trump27 said:

I didn't pay attention to the dates

Obviously.

13 minutes ago, Trump27 said:

but is there a huge problem with this accident of mine?

Huge problem?  No.  More of a minor annoyance.  Now you know.