Jump to content
justtryingtoenjoylife

parking and using my RV on my property

Recommended Posts

We own 2 parcels of land that are connected but listed as 2 separate parcels in Waushara County, WI. The first is 2.5 acres and the second one bought is 5.5 acres.
We have spent a lot of money to put in electric, a well/water and a septic system on the 2.5 acres over the past couple of years.
We have a 38 foot RV that we use as our season residence on OUR property with full hooks ups while we have the plans drawn up for our Cottage that we will be building in the next year or 2.
We live and work about 2 hours away from our property that we have up north and we are not able to stay there 24/7 all spring/summer/fall but we try to get there every week at some point to enjoy the land.
We leave the RV there plugged in to the water sewer and electric lines when we leave so when ever we can we just run up to the property and were ready to go. It's in a nice well groomed area of our property with flowers planted and a table and chairs on the patio type area etc. It's not just a junky old abandoned trailer left in the middle of the field.

One of our neighbors wrote a letter to Waushara County complaining about our RV being parked on our property and says its illegal.
We just received a letter stating we are in violation of the Waushara County Rules and states that we cannot leave out RV parked on our Property unless we are there with the RV at all times.

If we leave we have to take it with us, or we have to park it in an enclosed building. If we had 10 acres we could file for a special land use permit or something like that Or we could move it to another property that has a dwelling on the property. (My aunt and Uncle own the property right next to us another 2.5 parcel and they have a cottage.) So what they are saying is I could unhook and move my RV about 300 feet onto their property and leave it there all season when ever I'm nit suing it because they have a dwelling, but I'd have no hook ups like water sewer or electric, but I cannot leave my RV on MY property hooked up to all utilities unless I'm there all the time.  This makes no sense to me. We read the rules of season residence in their so called zoning rules and we feel that we are meeting the requirements necessary. They now say that travel trailers (which ours is not, it's an RV) cannot be considered as a seasonal residence. We pay our taxes we files for all the proper permits when getting the water, sewer and electric. We keep out property nice and well kept and are continuing to do improvements to it all the time. Why is it some nosey neighbors business what I have on my property when it's all legit and in good condition etc. How do they even know when we are there or not there with the RV are they watching me pull in and out of my longs tree lined drive everyday? We will be going to our appointed court date to fight this and ask for a trial if necessary and If I need to get a lawyer I will. Is there something a lawyer can do to help us do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, justtryingtoenjoylife said:

Why is it some nosey neighbors business what I have on my property when it's all legit and in good condition etc.

 

Because that's what nosey neighbors do because they are aholes.

 

1 hour ago, justtryingtoenjoylife said:

How do they even know when we are there or not there with the RV are they watching me pull in and out of my longs tree lined drive everyday?

 

That's exactly what they are doing. Because they are aholes.

 

1 hour ago, justtryingtoenjoylife said:

We will be going to our appointed court date to fight this and ask for a trial if necessary and If I need to get a lawyer I will. Is there something a lawyer can do to help us do you think?

 

I think you should have at least a consultation with a lawyer before you go to court and make sure you know what the process is all about lest you get steamrolled at your court date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, justtryingtoenjoylife said:

We just received a letter stating we are in violation of the Waushara County Rules and states that we cannot leave out RV parked on our Property unless we are there with the RV at all times.

 

Received a letter from whom?  From someone at the County?  If the letter came from someone at the County, I have to believe it contained citations to one or more rules and didn't merely reference "the Waushara County Rules" (since there doesn't appear to be any body of law called "the Waushara County Rules:  https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=waushara county rules&oq=waushara county rules&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.3975j0j8).  Assuming I'm right, what specific rules were cited?  Did you read them?  Do you agree or disagree that you are violating them (your post contains comments that go both ways)?

 

 

12 hours ago, justtryingtoenjoylife said:

If we leave we have to take it with us, or we have to park it in an enclosed building. . . .

 

Is this your interpretation of the relevant law and, if so, does this mean that you concede you're in violation?

 

 

12 hours ago, justtryingtoenjoylife said:

 This makes no sense to me.

 

It would be impossible to create bodies of law every member of society subjectively agreed to.

 

 

12 hours ago, justtryingtoenjoylife said:

We read the rules of season residence in their so called zoning rules. . . .

 

I assume this is a reference to Chapter 58 of the County Code, but I'm not going to try and dig through it to try and find the applicable rule(s).

 

 

12 hours ago, justtryingtoenjoylife said:

Why is it some nosey neighbors business what I have on my property when it's all legit and in good condition etc.

 

Because you're their neighbor and we live in a society in which folks are supposed to have regard for their neighbors by, among other things, following zoning laws.  If you're violating the law, your neighbor has every right to report the violation, and doing so hardly makes him nosy or an a-hole.  If you didn't like the applicable laws, you were free not to buy the property.

 

 

12 hours ago, justtryingtoenjoylife said:

Is there something a lawyer can do to help us do you think?

 

It's certainly possible.  One would have to read the applicable rule(s) and, possibly, do some case research.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, pg1067 said:

 

Received a letter from whom?  From someone at the County?  If the letter came from someone at the County, I have to believe it contained citations to one or more rules and didn't merely reference "the Waushara County Rules" (since there doesn't appear to be any body of law called "the Waushara County Rules:  https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=waushara county rules&oq=waushara county rules&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.3975j0j8).  Assuming I'm right, what specific rules were cited?  Did you read them?  Do you agree or disagree that you are violating them (your post contains comments that go both ways)?

We received a letter/citation from Waushara County Zoning Board.
We were sited for: Unoccupied storage of a camping trailer on parcel without residence.
Yes we read the rules/laws on their website and we understood them to read that our RV can and shall be considered our seasonal residence because we have the proper hook ups, water, sewer and electric. So we do not feel that we are in violation of their law. We believe we are in compliance.

 

Is this your interpretation of the relevant law and, if so, does this mean that you concede you're in violation?

No, not my interpretation, it was told to me by the Zoning office that in order to be compliant we must remove the RV when we leave each time or store it in an enclosed building, or store it on a property with a residence/dwelling.

 

 

It would be impossible to create bodies of law every member of society subjectively agreed to.
This comment serves no purpose does it?

 

I assume this is a reference to Chapter 58 of the County Code, but I'm not going to try and dig through it to try and find the applicable rule(s).
Yes there are pages and pages of zoning laws and regulations which we read thru.

 

 

 

Because you're their neighbor and we live in a society in which folks are supposed to have regard for their neighbors by, among other things, following zoning laws.  If you're violating the law, your neighbor has every right to report the violation, and doing so hardly makes him nosy or an a-hole.  If you didn't like the applicable laws, you were free not to buy the property.

first off I never called anyone an a-hole so don't refer to me as doing so, second of all if I were a run down camper parked in the middle of the field and dumping my water/waste on the ground I would be in violation and they could certainly report me and or complaint but since that is not the case. I have a 38 foot well kept and maintained RV with Full hookups on MY LAND in a wooded yard area which we worked hard to landscape and make nice for while we are there. It is my seasonal residence and that makes me complaint. My neighbor is just trying to create a problem for me because I have an RV and have not built a cottage yet. When we bought the property and paid to have water sewer and electric put in, which we also paid for and received permits from Waushara County Zoning, we were not told that we would not be able to use and leave our RV parked on our land using our utilities, otherwise we would have reconsidered buying in this county. My family has been coming here for over 50 years and several members own property and cottages in the area. The issue is one neighbor trying to cause trouble for what ever reason..

Your flippant comment about us being free to not buy the property again serves no purpose.

I was under the impression this site was to be useful to post an issue someone might be having and possible get some advise and or insight on what a person might be able to do.

If you don't have anything helpful or useful to say then please don't bother to post, it really serves no purpose. Thank you .

 

 

 

It's certainly possible.  One would have to read the applicable rule(s) and, possibly, do some case research. I will be seeking a lawyers help to understand where we stand with this issue prior to going to court.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The formatting of your follow up made it difficult to read, so I didn't read the whole thing.  What I did discern is that (1) you didn't identify any specific zoning law, and (2) you don't believe you're in violation of any law.  I don't know how much money you want or are able to spend on this, but it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to consult with a local attorney (sooner than later).  If your interpretation of the law is correct, then having a lawyer advocating on your behalf will be the best way to ensure that your rights are vindicated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have the same problem. We use our trailer for summer camping.  We would go home for 2-3 days where it was unattended. We keep the property neat, grass cut, not junk or garbage.  Someone also turned us in. I checked with some of the surrounding counties and found that Winnegago county lets you leave them for 72 hours, Portage county for 6 months, and Marquette county no limit between April 16 to November 30. We tried the seasonal residence also with the board and they said no.  I really believe they need to revisit their statutes regarding this. When we are up there we buy all our groceries, liquor, supplies, etc locally.  We go the Hancock every year for the labor day celebration and enjoy donating to their firefighters funds. I understand they don't want run down trailers being left all around the county, but think a modified regulation that eases how long you can leave it up especially during the summer months could be helpful to all.  If you already have a resolution I would love to know how it turned out.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

Metoo...   I totally agree with you.   We've been in Waushara for 60+ years seasonally, and past 20 year round, and I do NOT understand the seasonal RV zoning AT ALL.

It's overly restrictive and unintelligible. 

Can you elaborate on what happend with Waushara Board when you applied for "seasonal" or "unclassified" permit?  You said they said no... will u add some more detail here? about what happened in your case?, bc we will probably have to try to do the same, and need all the help we can get with all we're facing!

 

We too are wondering about an RV as seasonal use in Waushara under whatever the requirements of WI Uniform Dwelling Code are (but I'm not finding them), for a variety of very significant hardship issues, including elderly age--can't rebuild, and other conditions.

I am an attorney and I will apply/petition for unclassified or conditional use, given our circumstances.

We have a heated building on 2.5 acres, so the zoning/land use ordinance is very unclear.  Arguably, we can use RV connected seasonally, then store it bc it's within 300', but I don't understand the OP's issues with leaving it connected to utilities unoccupied?   I just don't get it... if you're building or converting structure to dwelling, then u should be able to leave RV connected, under cond. use permit?  Makes no sense that you'd have to disconnect if you're just gone a week. 

 

If any one has anything to add in experience with Waushara Board of Adjustments, please do comment.  Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After many letters and attending a board meeting the board would not give an inch on this.  We asked for a compromise of maybe allowing trailers from Memorial day to Labor Day, or allowing a 48 or 72 hour rule, or some form of compromise to no avail.  As far as filing as a seasonal residence I could never find the Wisconsin codes that would  apply to trailers.  Maybe if more people who share this dilemma  contact them we might have a chance for compromise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2018 at 2:44 PM, RetiredinVA said:

Since the poster has apparently been gone from this site for over a year, it is unlikely he or she will see your message.

Doesn't matter about the poster being gone. I am having a problem now that would benefit from all comments. My problem does not go with this topic because I am dealing with zoning officials abuse of power not neighbors but I could use those same solutions from here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2018 at 2:36 PM, adelaidsoraparuq said:

Hi all,

 

Metoo...   I totally agree with you.   We've been in Waushara for 60+ years seasonally, and past 20 year round, and I do NOT understand the seasonal RV zoning AT ALL.

It's overly restrictive and unintelligible. 

Can you elaborate on what happend with Waushara Board when you applied for "seasonal" or "unclassified" permit?  You said they said no... will u add some more detail here? about what happened in your case?, bc we will probably have to try to do the same, and need all the help we can get with all we're facing!

 

We too are wondering about an RV as seasonal use in Waushara under whatever the requirements of WI Uniform Dwelling Code are (but I'm not finding them), for a variety of very significant hardship issues, including elderly age--can't rebuild, and other conditions.

I am an attorney and I will apply/petition for unclassified or conditional use, given our circumstances.

We have a heated building on 2.5 acres, so the zoning/land use ordinance is very unclear.  Arguably, we can use RV connected seasonally, then store it bc it's within 300', but I don't understand the OP's issues with leaving it connected to utilities unoccupied?   I just don't get it... if you're building or converting structure to dwelling, then u should be able to leave RV connected, under cond. use permit?  Makes no sense that you'd have to disconnect if you're just gone a week. 

 

If any one has anything to add in experience with Waushara Board of Adjustments, please do comment.  Thank you.

Isn't the zoning laws supposed to prevent things like commercial or industrial uses in residential areas. The RV use should be for if you were to run a campground or if you were using it to charge for someone else to vacation. 

 

It should not interfere with the private use of private property. Don't we have the right to the enjoyment of our property?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mcdian said:

Doesn't matter about the poster being gone. I am having a problem now that would benefit from all comments. My problem does not go with this topic because I am dealing with zoning officials abuse of power not neighbors but I could use those same solutions from here.

 

You're having a problem but you don't tell us what it is.

 

Your problem doesn't go with this topic but here you are, not making any sense.

 

Please start your own thread, explain your problem, ask your questions and name your state. That's how you get help here. Please do it right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe if enough of us with this problem could sign a petition we might get them to compromise. Iwuld be willing to take the petition to the board this spring and try again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...