Sign in to follow this  
ThankYou17

Social Security Survivor Backpay

My adult disabled child is entitled to survivor benefits as she has had a disability since teenage years.  She was on SSI, now is collecting the survivor benefit which is a little more, but her food stamps went away so it is what it is.  Anyway, she is supposed to be getting back pay going back 4 years.  Her SSI income was $733 per month. Her Survivor benefit is $1101.  How is back pay calculated, and is it dispersed in a single or multiple checks.  I am her rep payee, so I want to plan wisely as to how to tell her, and guide her decision making.  Have gotten different answers by calling the 800 number.

Any help is appreciated. I know this may not be the right forum, but I did not see one specifically for social security.

Thank you in advance...

Donna

Back pay is calculated by subtracting what she did get from what she should have gotten so about 368 a month.  Disability back pay is paid in one lump sum. I do not know if survivors benefit is the same or not.  You should have or be receiving a letter from SSA outlining the benefits and when the back pay will be paid.  I am sorry that you found out the hardway  that the social security 800 number is most often useless. Unless you are very lucky the person who answers the phone is a random social security employee who knows little to nothing about the area you are calling about.