Sign in to follow this  
zotac

Semi truck rear end accident

Hi. . .

I had an accident on 26/2/2016 (5 am ) Riverdale, NJ at route 23 north after company truck broke down on the hill my guy got out of passenger door. I called my boss to tell him that truck had same problem and it does not run anymore and I got stuck on the highway hill that where is no safe shoulder. After I hang up I looked for my guy to see where he is and saw him 90 feet away on the grass area after pavement. At the moment I couldn't go too far away from truck incase of what if truck rolls over by itself after broke down problem so I decided to move it slowly down to hill to get the truck on safe spot. After I checked around the truck I went in and start going slowly backward down to hill paralel to pavements and stopped where the hill isn't too high. I got out of truck to see where am I at and how far do I have to go down to hill for and look for my buddy. Couldn't see him and when I went into truck right before I start moving again I saw him laying down few feet away front of truck. I went down to check on him and called 911. Police came first 15 mnts after I cooperate with him and 5 mnts after that ambulance arrived. They tried but he was gone by then. I went to police station and done all test. After I spoke with them and told them that I have preplanned vacation to overseas. After that I talked with the compnay insurance lawyer told him everything. He told me there is no problem for me to go vacation and actually it will be good for me to get out of trauma. while I am in vacation I received 3 tickets regarding of accident, Reckless, Careless and unsafe condition of truck and already missed couple of courts. My question is what is the worse case in area of this incident and what I should expect because I will back to US in August, Thank you . . .

As I understand it, when your truck stopped working your passenger got out and went onto the grass about 90 feet away.  You backed your truck up to a level spot.  When you got out of your truck again your passenger was on the ground in front of your truck.  Apparently your passenger was dead or near death at that time.  So, was there any indication that he had been hit by a vehicle or had suffered any serious trauma?  Did he die of natural causes?  Were you charged with injuring your passenger?

You said you had an accident on 26/2/2016.  I assume you mean February 26, 2016.  Right?  Your story did not mention an accident.  What happened that constituted an accident? Immediately after the accident you went on vacation.  But you will not be returning to the US until August.  Was your scheduled vacation for six months?

Apparently you were not issued a ticket at the time of the incident.  While you were on vacation you were issued three tickets for reckless driving, careless driving, and unsafe condition of the truck.  Apparently you did not know about the tickets.  Was your mail being forwarded to you?  Did your company alert you to the tickets?  The unsafe vehicle ticket should have been issued to the company as welll as you so I assume they knew something was going on.

There seem to be parts of the story missing.  

I was training my passanger to take care of the route while I am on vacation and a day before the accident truck had excatly same problem in different location in NJ. He did same thing, went out of truck and start looking around garbage area for metal. When same problem happened first time 2 cops arrived and push the truck behind while I am behind to wheel to park the truck safest place which is out of traffic. My guy was one of those guys were looking for metal things around at all customers drop stops. I guess he was selling them. on mycareless driving ticket it says : likely to endanger person or property.  

Yes Feb. 26. 2016 and no I did not went vacation right away. After accident I went to police head quarters with cops and they checked on me and tested me did I had any alcohol or anything like that, including blood test but I didn't had any of those. I went to vacation as it planned 3 days after incident. 

At headquarters I couldn't give any statement about incident because I wasn't well. My boss picked me up and next day I talked with company insurance lawyer. I gave my statement to him and asked him to is there any problem for me to go vacation or do I need to let police know that I have preplanned vacation. He said not to talk with anyone including polices and he will take care of it. My return date was Feb 22 2016 unfortunately couldn't make it because of family matter.

Yes They issued the tickets while I was on vacation and no they did not alert me, there is total 6 tickets, 3 of them to company and 3 of them for me. Company insurance lawyer told me to let him know if I received any tickets upon my return and it is very important but none of my boses went my home and checked out is there any or not while I am on vacation. I found out online. .

So you ran over your coworker? How long have you been gone? Why would your employer be checking your mail? You missed some court dates? What were these far? Have you been in contact with the company/lawyers since you left?

Since you continue to dodge the question, we must assume that you ran over your fellow employee.  Have you spoken to your attorney (not the company's attorney)? The company attorney is not your attorney. Have you reported the accident to the insurance company?  If you have been sued, they will provide an attorney for the suit, but not the criminal charges. You best bet right now is to get an attorney (if you don't already have one) for the criminal charges and have the attorney negotiate your return to the US.

When I talked with company insurance attorney first time he told me that it is best for me to give him the statement and it is for my benefits. I called him & asked him before I left the state do I need an attorney and his respond was '' if needed I can recommend one ''  which I did not look for any.

Hi @zotac

Thanks for posting. As other posters have suggested, you may want to consult with independent legal counsel when you return to the US so you are aware of your rights and your options. This may be in your best interest, especially since, form your description of the facts, your company-retained attorney may be missing court dates.

If you need help finding an attorney in your area, you can use our Lawyer Directory.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team