BamaNana

Help for Being Targeted b/c of my Father

I desperately need help legal representation I can't afford, I've been targeted for many years b/c my Father was fighting to prove his innocence from Death Row and 27yrs later it was proven,Sadly he died before his release. Due to my Father having to wait 27yrs&losing his life trying to get Justice. I have no trust in the Judicial System, he was framed by a Judge & prosecutor .I've been charged with charges I'm not guilty of & b/c I can't afford high dollar Attorney, I'm terrified a court appointed Attorney is going to cause me to have to take a plea bargain which is so wrong to have to say I'm guilty of something I'm not b/c I'm disabled and can't afford good Attorney on 1st Degree Assault w/deadly weapon and intimating a witness.My sister and I were both charged with assault charge.

Hi @BamaNana

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. So sorry to hear about your father, and about your current situation. Given what you described in your post, it is understandable that you have reservations about the criminal justice system.

Given that you cannot afford a private criminal law attorney, you may want to start by doing some research on your own about the criminal law process and your rights as a criminal defendant. It may help ease your anxiety if you understand the procedure a little bit more. Luckily, FindLaw has lots of excellent resources in our Learn About the Law materials, including articles about:

Further, even though you cannot afford an attorney, you have a right to competent counsel. It sounds like, from your post, that you have some fears about working with a public defender and concerns that you will be coerced into accepting a plea deal. You can learn more about working with a court-appointed attorney here

Finally, as RetiredinVA mentioned, a judge, prosecutor, or court appointed attorney cannot force you to plead guilty or accept a plea bargain. As a criminal defendant, it is your decision to plead guilty or not guilty. Also, any plea bargain you enter into must be voluntary; you cannot be coerced to accept a plea.

Best of luck, and let us know if you have additional questions for the community.

The FindLaw.com Team