Sign in to follow this  
psd121958

Festival rules and laws

I  attended a bocce tournament and the sign up form said no outside food or drinks.  One of my team mates brought beer.   They took it away and kept it without any warning or alternative.  My team came in 4th place.  They said they were keeping 1/2 of our winnings because one person on the team brought beer.  Can they do this?  The signs also said NO PETS - there were dogs on the grounds.  Need some advice.

3 minutes ago, psd121958 said:

I  attended a bocce tournament and the sign up form said no outside food or drinks.  One of my team mates brought beer.   They took it away and kept it without any warning or alternative.

I'm not sure who "they" are, but you meant "without any warning" other than "the sign up form [that] said no outside food or drinks," right?  As far as "alternatives," unless "they" were prepared to use physical force to take the beer, your friend obviously could have packed it up and left the premises.

4 minutes ago, psd121958 said:

They said they were keeping 1/2 of our winnings because one person on the team brought beer.  Can they do this?

"They" did do it, right?  If so, then it should be fairly obvious that "they" can do it.  If your intent was to ask whether doing so is legal, that depends on the laws of the state where this happened (which you didn't identify) and the rules applicable to the tournament.

Hi @psd121958

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! Sorry to hear about the bocce tournament, which sounds less than fun! From your description of the event, it sounds rather draconian for the club president to confiscate your teammate's beer rather than simply asking a that person  to pour out the drink and return the unopened beers to his or her car. It also sounds unfair that you were docked part of your winnings (especially considering the club acquired your beer!) while those violating the "no pets" rule apparently faced no consequences. You may wish to ask the club president to show you the official bocce tournament rules which explicitly state that outside beverages will be confiscated, and that any team violating this rule will be docked half of any winnings. It is unlikely that these rules are in writing, and it may cause the club president to back down. That being said, there are no laws against private organizations setting their own rules (even if the rules seem unfair), so your only remedy may be to choose not to participate in this club's events in the future.

The FindLaw.com Team

On 7/20/2016 at 4:59 PM, FindLaw_RE said:

it sounds rather draconian for the club president to confiscate your teammate's beer rather than simply asking a that person  to pour out the drink and return the unopened beers to his or her car. It also sounds unfair that you were docked part of your winnings (especially considering the club acquired your beer!)

Draconian? Really? We do not know all the details, but it is entirely possible that this club/event organizer could also face serious consequences for allowing alcohol consumption or outside food and drink at its festival, particularly if the event occurred in a public space or the involved catering/concessions agreements with the location owner. Often if food and beverage (alcoholic or otherwise) is offered for sale in the event venue, the venue user may be required to agree to meet a certain level of sales or else pay higher fees. There are just too many different possibilities here that would expose the event organizer to liability to suggest the action was draconian. Besides, you already have someone who has willingly violated the rules. Why should the event organizer trust the individual not to sneak the beer back into the venue or drink it in the parking lot (if that is even an option here)?