Sign in to follow this  
PlainlySecret

Baltimore City > hate crime > sucker punch > permanent eye damage

Team:

I was thinking about two items, workers compensation & suing Baltimore City.

The workers compensation doesn't make sense as I was headed to training while on work hours, meaning had training leave slip to attend such.

I ended up in ER using sick leave because health & surviving the day was important.

I don't want to cause issues at work for future training or for others.

All costs (ER, surgery) were paid via sick leave or insurance with some out of pocket expenses.

It would be nice to get those back, but not sure if worth it.

I was attacked by a black male en route to the Baltimore Hilton for training.

no interaction with this thug ...

just racial epithets & BAM ...

permanently injured eye ...

Baltimore has changed for the worse.

The city government knows it.

They did nothing.

Yes, I filed a police report.

Yes, I saved all the evidence, paperwork, et al.

If anybody has advice, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

45 minutes ago, PlainlySecret said:

The workers compensation doesn't make sense as I was headed to training while on work hours, meaning had training leave slip to attend such.

I'm not sure why you think these facts mean that WC doesn't make sense.

46 minutes ago, PlainlySecret said:

Baltimore has changed for the worse.

The city government knows it.

They did nothing.

Did nothing about what?

Why do you think the city is or should be liable for the crime committed against you?  Are you a city employee?  Is/was the person who attacked you a city employee?  You said this happened while you were traveling from one location (your regular work location, I assume) to the location where the training was taking place.  Were you riding public transportation?  If so, what do you think the city could or should have done to prevent the crime before it happened?

Hi @PlainlySecret

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. So sorry to hear about the attack against you and all that you have endured. If the police locate a suspect you can likely initiate a civil action against that person. In the meantime, you may want to speak with a worker's compensation attorney just be totally aware of your right since you were injured while attending a work training. It may be possible that worker's compensation might pay for your out-of-pocket expenses and lost wages. You can also speak with a civil attorney about initiating a lawsuit against Baltimore who can advise you about the likelihood of succeeding in a claim against the city.

Best of luck with your case and keep us posted!

The FindLaw.com Team

I handle a LOT of WC in MD. File the claim. You will have some issues if this happened some time ago and if you have already had medical treatment paid by someone else, but I'd still file it. Caveat, if it was a truly random attack it will be covered. It gets a lot more complicated if you participated or engaged with the individual. Horseplay or encounters in which one of you fared worse are not. What you call horseplay, is not necessarily how the Commission sees it. If you stood outside the Hilton and argued over who was going to win the game that day, the O's or the Redsox, and this guy got violent it would not be covered. If you were just walking along to training with your Red Sox tote bag and this guy walked up and punches you, it would.

The city itself has no liability over the conduct of it residents or visitors. I am not sure what you think the city could do to prevent random acts but you were two blocks from and whole building full of the victims of random acts (UMMC/Shock Trauma). The Hilton is hardly in a high crime area , but it goes to show that these things are not just limited to the "bad" neighborhoods.

Team:

The WC claim is away.

Let the fun begin.

It seems BALT City is settling cases all over due to Freddie Gray mishandling.

If anyone would like to try to get a settlement for me, I'm game.

I think the time is ripe for getting something out of it.

Gratzie.

I'm not sure how this is in any way analogous to Freddie Grey or why the city would settle over a random act that happened to occur while you were in the city. If you have been paying attention to the news, you will note that settlements are actually being scrutinized much more closely and are less likely, not more. This is all public record. If you have a WC claim, any third party you collect from will subrogate, meaning they get paid back from what you are paid first.

If you want to hire a lawyer, there is a link at the top of the page.

If you mean the lawyer gets a percentage, I expected that.

What I've heard is that the defendant always fights or tries to minimize costs when a lawyer knows better.

not stupid but smart enough to ask for appropriate representation when others know the game better ...

In a WC claim, if the injured employee goes after a third party, the WC insurer is entitled to be repaid for the benefits they paid on the injured worker's behalf. So if there are $5K in medical bills, $1K in lost time benefits, and the injured employee receives $9K from a settlement with another party, the injured employee is going to walk away with almost nothing. Expect an attorney to get at least a third, and the remaining $6 would go to pay back the insurance company.