Sign in to follow this  
adjusterjack

HUH?

Just scrolled through.  There have been only 5 boards/threads (other than this one) with ANY activity subsequent to 7/1/16.  I'm not sure what that might have to do with the updates, but the timing is coincidental.

Guys, Findlaw is not being straight-up here about the reasons for the decreased posting since July 1.

Findlaw may have made operational changes, but some form of a PURGE also occurred.  Inmate access to this forum was eliminated in a number of jails (IL for example), and Findlaw may have initiated this action. There are a number of member sign-ins which are no longer operational too.

For example, one IL county jail used to allow inmate access to this forum, FastCase, the State Statutes, and the State legislative website and State jail regulations website.

Since most jails and more prisons are eliminating physical libraries or never allowed inmate access to such, so having such access provided inmates with at least a minimum of legal research options.

Since July 1, this IL County jail eliminated access for inmates to everything except FastCase. The significant drop in posting is indicative that this also happened elsewhere. The timing of this action coincides with Findlaw's "re-organization" and cannot be coincidental....

@LegalwriterOne If you set up an Activity Stream which shows you unread topics and make it your default, no hunting should be required. We will look into the issue with the hovering.

@Tax_Counsel We will ask our design team to allow multiple fonts. Can you be more specific as to the issue you are having with Preview? It appears to be working for me.

37 minutes ago, IndiaFoodie said:

Inmate access to this forum was eliminated in a number of jails

I don't think this is a matter of "Findlaw . . . not being straight-up."  Nor will I say that I think this is a bad thing (at least from my perspective -- I'm sure the inmates would think otherwise).

38 minutes ago, IndiaFoodie said:

The significant drop in posting is indicative that this also happened elsewhere. The timing of this action coincides with Findlaw's "re-organization" and cannot be coincidental.

Sure it can.  Whether or not it is is anyone's guess.  However, the elimination of inmate access at jails in Illinois doesn't explain the lack of activity on the non-criminal boards.  For example, the last post on any of the family law boards was June 30, 2016, and there has been only one new thread on the landlord-tenant board since 6/30/16.  Both of those boards typically had at least one new thread per day.

Hi @IndiaFoodie,

We assure you, the new look of the site is only that--a redesign. There have been no "operational changes" nor any sort of "purge" of users. We have no connection to any correctional facilities, and we have no knowledge of their internet policies or decisions. No prisons confer with us about the use of our site. We did notice a drop-off in our incarcerated users, but any change in prison internet policy occurring at the same time as our re-design is entirely coincidental.

The FindLaw.com Team

On 7/7/2016 at 11:25 AM, IndiaFoodie said:

Inmate access to this forum was eliminated in a number of jails (IL for example), and Findlaw may have initiated this action. There are a number of member sign-ins which are no longer operational too....The significant drop in posting is indicative that this also happened elsewhere. The timing of this action coincides with Findlaw's "re-organization" and cannot be coincidental.

It takes quite a bit of time to implement a design change like this. It started well before the recent influx of posts by IL inmates asking questions on these forums. And the drop in posts on this site is among all boards, not just the few that the inmates posted on.

The jail makes its own decisions about what content inmates may access. My guess is that after monitoring use by the inmates they decided that access to message boards was not what the jail wanted and imposed the restriction to just the case law. Chances are that the jail staff did not know message boards were a feature of this site when it approved use of it for legal research until the staff actually saw the inmates using that feature. I doubt very much that the company that owns Findlaw went to the jail and asked for the block on inmate access since the site could simply ban any inmate members who abused the message boards all on its own. Given that, there is no need to make the extra effort to have the jail ban access to all inmates.