john.scarver

company insurance

In most cases, the employee has the right to opt out of coverage at hire, yes. It's very rare these days for an employer to have a contract with the insurance carrier for 100% of the employees to sign on, and even when they do, those contracts usually allow for a spousal or parental waiver. The employer should be aware that if they do not accept the insurance at hire, they will not be able to pick it up later unless they have an IRS-approved qualifying event, or it is the company Open Enrollment period. They can't just arbitrarily choose to pick it back up again. (Loss of other coverage would be a qualifying event.)

The above assumes that you are in the US.

Is the employer trying to require you to take it? Can you provide more details if so?

I'm not sure what you are really getting at as you provide no context for your question. Typically there is a period of time after hire during which the employee must make the election or wait until open enrollment. For example, my employer gives you 60 days to elect coverage. There may be some coverage, especially things like employer paid life insurance, which are automatic.

yes I am referring to the rights that you have as an employee to opt out of obtaining their provided insurance? for instance the new employee may not need it because the insurance they have already may be of better worth.

You didn't answer the questions I asked.  Please do so.  also, if you think employees have "rights . . . to opt out of obtaining their provided insurance," why is this even a question?