Learning_Legal

Prison and Spider Bites

There are many people in Jail or Prison who do not get proper medical help.

Lets say I am in prison and i get bitten by a poisenous bug. I contact the nurses office and let them know im in need medical attention.but they say its just scratch or something and it will go away.but it doesnt and it gets worse as spider bites often do. (brown recluse) and They then help me but not fast enough and eventually they take me to the hospital where i get the help I need.  is this medical malpractice? How can i make sure i get the help i need? and what can i do if dont?

A successful medical malpractice claim requires that the plaintiff demonstrate the medical professional failed to exercise a reasonable duty of care. If the wound did not present with obvious signs of a spider bite (particularly a brown recluse), it may be reasonable to treat for a far more common type of injury first. Good luck. 

A successful medical malpractice claim requires that the plaintiff demonstrate the medical professional failed to exercise a reasonable duty of care. If the wound did not present with obvious signs of a spider bite (particularly a brown recluse), it may be reasonable to treat for a far more common type of injury first. Good luck. 

what if the wound festered and got worse over time. Because the medical staff took such time to get the the wound. what if i got sick and other thngs occured because they took thier time? what could i do to make sure they do thier job and help me?  what ifiwas left witha hge permanent injurry or scar because the medical staff didnt treat me in time?

is this medical malpractice?

Maybe.  Maybe not.  No way to assess it without reviewing the medical records, including, specifically, photographs of what the are looked like.

How can i make sure i get the help i need? and what can i do if dont?

The first question here is a relatively unanswerable, vague question.  The answer to the second question is to consult with legal counsel.

9 out of 10 its not a spider bite

You have amazing insight to be able to diagnose an injury without seeing any medical records or images of the injury (and which appears to be hypothetical).

what if the wound festered and got worse over time. Because the medical staff took such time to get the the wound. what if i got sick and other thngs occured because they took thier time? what could i do to make sure they do thier job and help me?  what ifiwas left witha hge permanent injurry or scar because the medical staff didnt treat me in time?

What if my aunt had a penis?  She'd be my uncle.  Whether a hypothetical medical professional acted reasonably cannot be assessed in the abstract.  Suffice to say that prisoners aren't going to get the same level of medical attention and care as folks who aren't in prison.  It's obviously one of the myriad reasons why becoming a criminal is a bad idea.

Hi Learning_Legal,

Thanks for your question! As others have mentioned, whether the failure to identify a brown recluse spider bite constitutes medical malpractice will depend on the specific facts of your case. To learn more about medical malpractice claims, you can review these helpful resources in the Medical Malpractice section of our Learn About the Law materials:

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team

in the town he claims to be in doesnt have the kind of spiders.and also in that place hes locked up in doesnt have spiders its to cold in there ...i do no this because im in that place with him

Edited by FindLaw_RE
This post has been edited for language

in the town he claims to be in doesnt have the kind of spiders.and also in that place hes locked up in doesnt have spiders its to cold in there ...i do no this because im in that place with him

yurwrong i haveseen spiders in this jail.   Oneperson was bittenby ine here. brown recluse are south of us.

Hi Learning_Legal,

Thanks for your question! As others have mentioned, whether the failure to identify a brown recluse spider bite constitutes medical malpractice will depend on the specific facts of your case. To learn more about medical malpractice claims, you can review these helpful resources in the Medical Malpractice section of our Learn About the Law materials:

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team

Thankyou very muchi have already printed out the entire section on injuries and accidents. imstudying it as muchas possible.

in the town he claims to be in doesnt have the kind of spiders.and also in that place hes locked up in doesnt have spiders its to cold in there .

And now you're an entomologist....

Not sure why you guys have to clog up the message boards and can't just chit chat with each other in person.

And now you're an entomologist....

Not sure why you guys have to clog up the message boards and can't just chit chat with each other in person.

We cant 'just talk to each other' because we ar not located in the same area in the jail. i am in general pop, he is not. plus these message boards were created for the use i am using them for. And is this one i was curious about the 'above stated'  thank you pg1067 for your input on here.

these message boards were created for the use i am using them for.

As someone who has posted here well over a decade, I think I'm far better qualified to address this than you are.  Notwithstanding the relatively recent and inexplicable influx of inmates in Illinois, I can assure you that you haven't the slightest insight into why these boards were created a decade-plus ago.  I can also assure you that they were not created so that inmates at blabbedy-blah prison in Illinois could discuss pest control issues at the prison (your original question about medical malpractice was perfectly fine).