Learning_Legal

Housing in Prison

I'm in Winnebago County Jail. Next month I am either headed to trial or taking The plea Bargain offered to me.

I expect to be in prison soon. Since i was 14 years old i have heard thousands and thousands of stories about prison. When i was in IDJJ ( St. Charles, Harrisburg, Kewanee )I was alwaysgiven a one-man-cell because of my history. I want to be placed in a one man cell when  get to prison. but i dont want to be placed in segregation or be barred from working or socializing while incarcerated. to put it bluntly im looking for the best way to get what i want.  what i want is a cell by myself or to be placed with peope like me i identify as gay. What can i tell the Intake prison orthe prison i go to toomost likely get placed in a cell by myself?

I may be in prison soon.

What can i do if i am in prsion and which to be moved to another prison without causinga ruckus? especially if the prison officialsare not wanting to move me?

What can isay to them that would get me moved?

whatwould be the best course of action if they do not want to move me?

Edited by FindLaw_RE
This post has been merged with a similar post by the same user

Ummm...prison is not a social club.  You'll get placed where you get placed.

I am not refering to it as a social club, one thingihavelearned isnot tobe social in institutions.

But if you (pg1067) were in prison, would you rather be placed on a unit with hardcore thug-like killers,rapists,Gang-bangers or white supremacists,  or  would you rather be on a unit where you can be with people who are interested in the same things as you? people that have accounts on Linkedin,watch the stock exchange, invest wisely, play chess and other games of logic, people who understand quantum mechanics and like to talk about the theories?  what it comes down to is being where your comfortable with liveing your life, in any society or community, Jail or prison. people may be criminals, but universally they are stil human beings, and shoud be respected.

would you rather be placed on a unit with hardcore thug-like killers,rapists,Gang-bangers or white supremacists,  or  would you rather be on a unit where you can be with people who are interested in the same things as you?

First of all, I have no reason to believe that persons who fall into the groups you mentioned wouldn't share at least some of my interests.  For example, nothing inherently says a "hardcore thug-like killer" can't be a passionate ice hockey fan.  That said, I'm not questioning the logic of your desire for particular "placement."  What I'm getting at is two-fold.  First, these boards are not the functional equivalent of a Dummies Guide to Surviving -- and Maybe Even Enjoying -- Your Illinois Prison Experience.  We're here to address legal issues, and this thread doesn't raise any legal issues.  Second, only someone with a working knowledge of the operation of the particular prison will have any insight into how to get the analog of an ocean view room with a balcony.  You're not going to find that sort of unique local knowledge on a message board where the regulars are located everywhere from coast to coast in the U.S.

what it comes down to is being where your comfortable with liveing your life, in any society or community, Jail or prison. people may be criminals, but universally they are stil human beings, and shoud be respected.

But understand that those who are convicted of breaking the law and are sentenced to jail or prison give up a lot of their rights while incarcerated. One of those rights they lose is getting to pick where they live. If you are sentenced to prison, the corrections department will determine to which prison to send you and the prison staff of that prison will assign you a cell based on the procedures they have for that, and those procedures are largely designed around security and orderly conduct issues, not inmate preference.

First of all, I have no reason to believe that persons who fall into the groups you mentioned wouldn't share at least some of my interests.  For example, nothing inherently says a "hardcore thug-like killer" can't be a passionate ice hockey fan.  That said, I'm not questioning the logic of your desire for particular "placement."  What I'm getting at is two-fold.  First, these boards are not the functional equivalent of a Dummies Guide to Surviving -- and Maybe Even Enjoying -- Your Illinois Prison Experience.  We're here to address legal issues, and this thread doesn't raise any legal issues.  Second, only someone with a working knowledge of the operation of the particular prison will have any insight into how to get the analog of an ocean view room with a balcony.  You're not going to find that sort of unique local knowledge on a message board where the regulars are located everywhere from coast to coast in the U.S.

My goodness calm down,, I hopeyou dont have a coronary while thinking about this. I'm just looking forhelp its simple. Ultimatley iwasnt referring to you, BUT iwas going to add tht im sure thier are people in the "bad Group" that are good and have some of the same interests. But its oka  thank you for the help anyways.