jdwalke1

Child support payments don't change

Hi, In Oregon, I'm told that I have to pay child support for 4 kids in the amoutn of $680/month. I have no problem paying this amount. However, I have one child that is now 21 (not going to college) and another that is 19 and is going to college. The other are 15 and 12. I'm told that I have to continue to pay $680/month until my last child is 21 and/or not going to college. Why doesn't the amount get adjusted as the children become of age (21) or 18 if they are not going to college? Is this correct? Because when I read the child support documents and Oregon Law, I can not find anything suggesting that child support payments will stay the same...

Thanks

I'm told that I have to pay child support. . . .

Told by whom?  Does this simply mean that the court has entered an order to this effect?

I'm told that I have to continue to pay $680/month until my last child is 21 and/or not going to college.

I'm not sure why you choose to phrase your statements in this way (i.e., with the passive voice), but it renders your post ambiguous.  Is this what the court's order says?

Why doesn't the amount get adjusted as the children become of age (21) or 18 if they are not going to college? Is this correct?

No one here is in a position to know why the court ruled as it did (that said, $680 per month is a phenomenally paltry amount for four children, so it may be that the court is giving you a break by having you pay a flat amount, as opposed to ordering you to pay a larger amount now that gets reduced as the children age out).  I suggest you read this discussion regarding the termination of child support under Oregon law:  http://www.ronaldjohnstonlaw.com/child-support-for-children-attending-school/ (and, for further information, google "when does child support end in oregon"), and then consult with a local family law attorney.

Hi jdwalke1,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Oregon law states that a child support order continues until the child turns 18, but a child may continue to qualify for child support if in school and between the ages of 18 and 21.

Does your child support order contain specific language about the children reaching the age of majority as it applies to child support? You may want to consider conferring with an experienced family law attorney, who can advise you about adjusting child support as your children reach adulthood. Many attorneys offer free consultations, and if you need help finding an attorney in your area, you can use our Lawyer Directory.

Best of luck with your case!

The FindLaw.com Team