Sign in to follow this  
jdwalke1

Not told she was fired form retail store

Hi, My step daughter got a part time job working at American Eagle. She worked there for a short period of time before they stopped putting her on the schedule but was not told as to why she wasn't on the schedule. Thus went on for 2 -3 weeks. Howwever, today she finds out that she is no longer employed at the store. She was not told about being laid off or fired. It seems to me that they should have told her she was fired so she could seek employment else where but not has suffered an income lost and will need to find another job elsewhere. Does she have a case here? Can she seek compensation until she finds another job?

Oddly enough, no law requires that she be told she has been fired. In a VERY few states, she has to be provided with information about applying for unemployment, but since you failed to provide your state I can't tell you if yours is one of them.

Does she have a case here?

A case of what?

Can she seek compensation until she finds another job?

She can seek whatever she likes, but she has no valid legal claim against her former employer.  She could and should have made in inquiry about this the first time she wasn't on the schedule.

Hi jdwalke1,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting!

Cbg, jdwalke1 is posting from Oregon, you can see the state tagged below the title of the topic.

To determine what your stepdaughter’s rights are regarding notice of her termination, and any causes of actions available to her, consider consulting with an attorney in your area. Many offer free consultations—if you need help finding an attorney in your area you can use our Legal Directory. Also, our Learn About the Law materials contain a section on Oregon Employment Laws.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

The FindLaw.com Team

Ah, thank you, Findlaw_RE, I had not noticed that. I'll know for next time.

Oregon is not one of the states which requires the employer to send unemployment information.