Sign in to follow this  
SuperHappy

Small claims court judgement- What does this mean

Long story short. I had a medical test done the total due me was 2500. I paid 1,247.35 as the test wasn't done properly The didn't scan part of my back. I was taken to small claims court. The Judgement says:

13. The Court further finds that Defendant's dispute with Plaintiff is in good faith and with some merit. Defendant will not be assessed any attorney fees, interest, or court costs

Judgment for Plaintiff, Dupont Hospital, LLC against Defendant, (my name), in the amount of $ 1,247.35. Cost to Plaintiff. Costs paid.

To me it means that I don't have to pay any more since it says Costs paid. There is nothing else below that part but Manner of Notice (how I was served)

Do I owe more money? Should I call the court house. I didn't have a lawyer as no one wanted to take a small claims case that was less than $2,000.

Costs doesn't mean the judgment amount, it means the court costs which the court decided not to assess to you.  If the court didn't intend for you to have pay any more, the amount of the judgment would have been zero or judgment would have been entered in your favor, not the plaintiffs.

Hi SuperHappy,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your question! From the language of the order that you have provided, it appears that the hospital won the small claims case. However, the judge decided that because your dispute with the hospital had merit, the judge did not order you to pay any interest on the amount owed or any of the hospital's court costs. In some cases, a losing party may be ordered by the court to pay the other party's court costs (if, for example, their defense lacked basis or merit). The word "costs" as used in this judgment most likely means the small claims court filing fee. In your case, the judge found no reason to order you to pay the hospital's court costs. So, the amount of the judgment against you (the amount you are required to pay for the medical bill) is $1,247.35. The costs (filing fees, etc.) have already paid by the hospital to the court, and the judge confirmed responsibility of this expense to the hospital, meaning that you are not required to pay any amount of costs (or interest) in addition to your judgment.

This position is based on the information provided, so to confirm that this is the case, consider contacting the clerk's office or self-help center at the small claims court. You can find helpful links to Indiana small claims resources here.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

The FindLaw.com Team

I had a medical test done the total due me was 2500.

Why would anything be due to you as a result of a medical test you had done?  Did you mean that the bill was $2,500?

13. The Court further finds that Defendant's dispute with Plaintiff is in good faith and with some merit. Defendant will not be assessed any attorney fees, interest, or court costs

Judgment for Plaintiff, Dupont Hospital, LLC against Defendant, (my name), in the amount of $ 1,247.35. Cost to Plaintiff. Costs paid.

To me it means that I don't have to pay any more since it says Costs paid.

That's confusing as heck.  The sentence that I highlighted above is clear and probably controlling, but the "cost to plaintiff" part contradicts that.  I have no idea what the "costs paid" part means, but your interpretation seems reasonable, and my overall sense is that all you owe is $1,247.35.

Thanks for your help. Of course I don't agree that I have to pay for the test when they even put in the letter that the test needed wasnt done. 

3. The diagnostic testing was ordered by Defendant's treating physican, (drs name). The order from Dr included a CT scan with contrast of Defendant's thoracic spine

4. The records from Plaintiff's fcility state that "The patient was then sent to CT for post-myelogram CT of cervicl, thoracic and lumbar spine"

5. For what ever reason te CT scan of Defendant's thoracic spine was not done.

This is the reason I paid 1/2 of the total bill in the first place

But I guess the judge ruled and I have to pay. Just a bummer since I have yet to get the proper tests done and now I cant even have another surgery to fix due to starting a new job.