Sign in to follow this  
Kayla

Travel Expenses incurred to purchase vehicle

Greetings, I currently live near Salt Lake City Utah. I want to purchase a van that is for sale in Chino Valley Arizona. I've been communicating with the seller for a few weeks now and we agreed to meet on Friday June 10th 2016 to conclude the sale. A couple days prior to the 10th he said that he would be out of town on that day but that his wife would handle the transaction. When I arrived in Chino Valley she said that she was not ready to conclude the sale and that I should come back on Monday the 13th. I left Arizona on the 10th, disappointed that the sale had not occurred. I incurred air and taxi fare in excess of $400 to travel to their residence in Chino Valley Arizona. I believe that I should be able to recover my travel expenses, is that correct?

Hi Kayla,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! Sorry to hear about your car sale trouble and that you traveled so far only to be disappointed. You may face some challenges in collecting your travel expenses from the seller if no specific written or oral agreement existed between you regarding the sale of the car containing provisions about travel expenses or damages for breach of the contract. However, the best person to advise you about your likelihood of success in recovering travel expenses is an experienced attorney in your area, and you if you need help finding one you can use your Lawyer Directory.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Rebecca

How much was the car purchase for and did you have a written contract for it that the seller signed?

The agreed purchase price was $3900 and all communication was through text messages. Doesn't that serve as a written contract? 

Probably not. We can't know without reading all the text messages, from first to last, word for word.

But even there was a contract, you'll have to sue the guy in Chino Valley, you'll have to travel again, take time off to go to court and you won't get your travel cost or time off from work paid for.

From a practical standpoint, do you still want the car, does the guy still want to sell it to you?

Maybe there's room to negotiate a bit of a discount because of your first trip.

If not, then there is a lesson to be learned. Well, two. Buy local and only deal with the seller, not his wife, not his friends, not his relatives, and never negotiate price without seeing the car. OK, that's three lessons.

The agreed purchase price was $3900 and all communication was through text messages. Doesn't that serve as a written contract? 

Maybe.  However, unless the seller agreed to reimburse you for travel expenses, it doesn't really matter.