Sign in to follow this  
SnowJill

Personal Injury Lawsuit - What are our legal rights and what damages can we claim?

11 posts in this topic

My husband and I were in a serious car accident and ended up with severe injuries, prolonged unemployment and a pile of unpaid medical bills. We are contemplating a personal injury lawsuit. What are our legal rights and what damages can we claim?

every personal injury lawyer i have ever known offers free initial consultations. instead of asking folks who know nothing about your claim, including the state where the collision occured, you should consult a local personal injury attorney.

What are our legal rights

Compiling a list of the dozens of legal rights you have would serve no useful purpose.

what damages can we claim?

You can claim anything you like, but the damages that are typically recoverable in a lawsuit arising out of a car accident are past and future medical expenses, past and future lost earnings, property damage, and "pain and suffering" and other non-economic damages (such as "loss of consortium").

Consult with a local personal injury attorney.

Hi SnowJill,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post. So sorry to hear about your accident, and all that you and your husband have been through.

Some who have been injured in car accidents can use personal injury lawsuits to recover damages, lost wages, medical expenses, and pain a suffering. As others have mentioned, consider meeting with an experienced local personal injury attorney. Many attorneys offer free consultations. You can find a personal injury attorney in your area using our Lawyer Directory.

You can also review these materials about personal injury litigation from our Learn About the Law Section:

Best of luck with your case and keep us posted,

The FindLaw.com Team

Hi SnowJill, 

What are your legal rights? Well, let's keep it simple, you have a myriad of legal rights to seek justice.

What damages you claim? This largely depends on the specifics of your case and the overall damages sustained. Ideally, a personal injury claim entitles you to the recovery of damages for medical and funeral expenses, lost income, emotional distress, and any other inconvenience caused. In extreme cases, litigants have also been entitled to ‘punitive damages’ where the defendant was proven to be grossly negligent which directly resulted in an accident or personal injury.

You can read more about personal injury law and rights by reviewing this link - http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/resources/law_issues_for_consumers/personalinjury.html

Good luck finding help!

Hi SnowJill, 

What are your legal rights? Well, let's keep it simple, you have a myriad of legal rights to seek justice.

What damages you claim? This largely depends on the specifics of your case and the overall damages sustained. Ideally, a personal injury claim entitles you to the recovery of damages for medical and funeral expenses, lost income, emotional distress, and any other inconvenience caused. In extreme cases, litigants have also been entitled to ‘punitive damages’ where the defendant was proven to be grossly negligent which directly resulted in an accident or personal injury.

You can read more about personal injury law and rights by reviewing this link - http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/resources/law_issues_for_consumers/personalinjury.html

Good luck finding help!

hey Smith, Thank you buddy, the link was very helpful.

There are many lawyers around the town who can give you expert advise regarding your case. One of my friend was in this similar situation and she received a $2 million dollar compensation from the opposite side. The lawyer whom she had consulted were quite efficient.

3 minutes ago, emily45326 said:

There are many lawyers around the town who can give you expert advise regarding your case. One of my friend was in this similar situation and she received a $2 million dollar compensation from the opposite side. The lawyer whom she had consulted were quite efficient.

Do you have the details of the lawyer which she consulted? Let me try my luck