Sign in to follow this  
Medic2007

Needing support

I have 2 grown sons and was just divorced from my wife. I have not talked to them in over 17 months. I am in jail on unrelated charges from them or my ex. I miss my sons so much. We never had any bad times together and have no idea on why she divorced me. How can I tell this to my sons..I write to them and have tried calling them all the time and they have not written me or will answer the phone. Any suggestions?? I lost all contact on the day I was arrested yet they both told me that day that they would be here for me. I feel that I have died on that day since I feel that they hate me now and have since my arrest date.. I am so hurt and devestated.. please help....

Hi Medic2007,

Thank you for your question, and sorry to hear about what you are going through. Yours sounds like a difficult situation. However, once your sons turned 18 years old the family court no longer had the power to make any orders regarding their contact with you. As adults, your sons have the right to decide if they wish to have contact with you.

Reconnecting with your sons must be especially difficult while you are incarcerated. Your means of communicating with them is limited. You can continue to call and write letters asking them to visit (or send emails, if that is available to you), but until they are ready to respond, you may just have to be patient.

Best of luck to you,

The FindLaw.com Team

If by "grown" you mean adults, unless they're still in high school and living with mom, no family court will get involved. And due to their apparent age, a court won't force interaction with an incarcerated father if they indicated no desire to do so. (Whether they were coerced or brainwashed to say so would be beside the point.)

Only thing I'd suggest is reaching out to someone who knows them to confirm whether they want to interact and if so what is preventing that (or rather what excuse they'd use and you'd have no choice but to accept).