Sign in to follow this  
kjkrunner

Apartment neighbor was making meth here

Hello,

I live in a large apartment complex in NC.   A week ago, a neighbor who lived in our bldg was investigated and arrested for making meth here.  The police posted a sign on his door saying not to go in, unsafe chemicals, etc.  I have a young daughter and our lease is up in four months. 

What are my rights?  Am I able to break my lease and move sooner?  Negotiate a lower rent payment? It may have been the apt management who turned him in, I don't know.  But I know it is extremely unsafe and was probably going on for a while. 

Our management is rather shady and would never let us know that we have rights or legal options.  I plan to contact them, but just want to have my facts and info straight before I do.  They think that because we are low income that we are also low intelligence.  Thanks!

I know it is extremely unsafe

You "know"?

Are you a chemist? Have you analyzed the air in your apartment to see if there are any hazardous particulants?

You obviously can pack up and leave any time you want, but not without serious financial consequences unless you can prove that YOUR apartment has habitability issues from chemical contamination.

Our management is rather shady and would never let us know that we have rights or legal options.

It never occurred to you, in all the years that you've been a renter, to look up your state's landlord tenant statutes for your rights and obligations?

Perhaps you should study them now:

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/Statutes/StatutesTOC.pl?Chapter=0042

Adjuster is way cranky this morning; maybe (s)he needs to take a nap. How (s)he'd know that you've rented for years is unclea; is it in your profile? At any rate, think (s)he meant to say "particulates".

If you didn't notice anything that caused alarm, and no one has indicated there is reason to leave/that your place is not habitable, no likely reason to leave.

The suggestion that your place is worth less because someone no longer there and allegedly was making meth does not compute. Of course, you're free to research fair market rent and offer less.

With very few exceptions, a business like, say, law enforcement, has no obligation to mention rights. Options are limited only by imagination and what is possible.

What are my rights?

Like everyone else, you have dozens of legal rights, and it would serve no useful purpose to try and compile a list.

Am I able to break my lease and move sooner?

You have no right to do this based on what you've posted, but you certainly can approach your landlord and discuss it.

Negotiate a lower rent payment?

You can try, but I can't imagine your landlord agreeing to something like for no apparent reason.

I know it is extremely unsafe

What is "it"?  In other words, what is "extremely unsafe"?  And how do you purport to "know" this?  Have you inspected this apartment?  Have you called the investigating officer(s) and discussed the extent to which your continued occupancy poses any danger to your and/or your child?  That the cops posted a notice that says "unsafe chemicals" and that it may well be ill-advised to enter the apartment does not mean there are any safety issues with you living in your apartment that is located some unknown number of feet/years from this guy's apartment and going about your normal daily business.  And, by the way, you have "unsafe chemicals" in your own home.  Any "chemical" can be "unsafe" (to whatever extent) in the right (or wrong) quantities and if mis-handled, misused, or improperly stored.

While I can appreciate your concern, if the police thought there was any danger to the other residents, they'd have informed you.

What is "it"?  In other words, what is "extremely unsafe"?  And how do you purport to "know" this?  Have you inspected this apartment?  Have you called the investigating officer(s) and discussed the extent to which your continued occupancy poses any danger to your and/or your child?

I wonder if Fallen will call you "cranky", too. :D