needjusticeforwomen

Sue for domestic abuse

9 posts in this topic

I want to sue my abuser for 6 years of domestic violence. I have contacted a few here but they don't seem interested in my case. My abuser is wealthy and I of course have nothing. I have researched and I read some women sue for a continuous tort of domestic violence. Is this possible in Georgia? I have read in the news lately about women in other states suing successfully. I feel this is how I can get the justice that I need and deserve. I need help finding a lawyer. I was abused in horrible ways in every single way possible so please no nasty comments or questions why I stayed.

There is a find a lawyer feature at the top of the page. If you can't find one willing to take the case, that might tell you something about the strength of your case. If you are expecting an attorney to take the case on contingency, that is going to be difficult. The attorney only gets paid if you do and often some percentage of the award. Unless this guy is a millionaire, the outcome might not be worth the amount of work in the case. You don't say how long ago this occurred but you may also have difficulty with the statute of limitations.

needjusticeforwomen,

Thank you for the post and sorry to hear about this situation. By what you have written, it seems as though this abuse has recently ended, is that true? You should get together all the evidence you have and present it to potential lawyers. Sometimes it just takes persistence and finding the right attorney, it may not be that your case is not strong.

You can click on this link to start your search online, the link is directly to Atlanta attorneys who take domestic violence cases\.

Please feel free to continue to post your questions here,

The FindLaw.com Team

Yes and ended recently with an incident of abuse where I finally called the police but this recent time wasn't very bad compared to other times. The other times in the past have been over 2.5 years so the statute of limitations is probably up unless I can do a continuous tort. He is a multi millionaire so I thought maybe I could find a lawyer for a contingency fee. I have no idea if my case it strong because as soon as I say domestic violence the lawyers don't want to hear anymore.

needjusticeforwomen,

It appears that Georgia does recognize continuing tort cases. Take a look at this:Statutes of Limitation and Continuing Torts (The article discusses Georgia state law)

Also, the link I sent above is directly to Atlanta attorneys who handle domestic violence cases, so you may have better luck there.

-The FindLaw.com Team