deangelolee89

Interrogatory ideas for Excessive Force & Police Misconduct Case

You really ought to have a lawyer representing you on this. The city and the officers will have lawyers and that will put you at a distinct disadvantage. Your question here illustrates the problem. There isn’t some stock set of questions we can give you to ask. Rather, it depends very much on the details of what happened and what your claim is against the defendants. It also depends on the applicable rules of procedure and evidence, and you did not say whether this case is in federal or state court, and if state court, what state. Crafting good discovery requests means having a good theory of your case and knowing what sorts of things to ask to help bolster that case and uncover any weaknesses in it. Using some kind of boilerplate questions isn’t all that helpful for that, to be frank.

Echoing the prior response, if you can't come up with interrogatories and RFPs, how are you going to handle depositions?  And examination of witnesses at trial?

To be blunt, either hire a lawyer or dismiss your case so you don't waste everyone else's time and money.

You really ought to have a lawyer representing you on this. The city and the officers will have lawyers and that will put you at a distinct disadvantage. Your question here illustrates the problem. There isn’t some stock set of questions we can give you to ask. Rather, it depends very much on the details of what happened and what your claim is against the defendants. It also depends on the applicable rules of procedure and evidence, and you did not say whether this case is in federal or state court, and if state court, what state. Crafting good discovery requests means having a good theory of your case and knowing what sorts of things to ask to help bolster that case and uncover any weaknesses in it. Using some kind of boilerplate questions isn’t all that helpful for that, to be frank.

Thank you very much tax_counsel

Echoing the prior response, if you can't come up with interrogatories and RFPs, how are you going to handle depositions?  And examination of witnesses at trial?

To be blunt, either hire a lawyer or dismiss your case so you don't waste everyone else's time and money.

Now why would I dismiss the case....thats stupid!!!!! I have alot of good Interrogatories, just thought other people ideas would help too......."2 heads is always better than one"!!!! I never said I could not come up with Interrogatories.

Now why would I dismiss the case....thats stupid!!!!!

Because you're trying to do this pro per which is like taking a plastic knife to a gun fight.  You need a lawyer.  When you lose, you can be ordered to pay the other side's attorney's fees which can be in the tens of thousands.

Because you're trying to do this pro per which is like taking a plastic knife to a gun fight.  You need a lawyer. 

Thats incorrect!!!! It's alot of pro se people who have won civil cases in the past.....thats a fact! Plus you don't even know the facts of the case, my evidence is very strong.......people like you should not even post on here if you didn't know that fact I stated above.

Because you're trying to do this pro per which is like taking a plastic knife to a gun fight.  You need a lawyer.

Thats incorrect!!!! It's alot of pro se people who have won civil cases in the past.....thats a fact! Plus you don't even know the facts of the case, my evidence is very strong.......people like you should not even post on here if you didn't know that fact I stated above.

"LegalwriterOne's" comment that litigating an excessive force/police misconduct case as a pro se plaintiff "is like taking a plastic knife to a gun fight" is neither correct nor incorrect because it's an opinion phrased as a metaphor.  That "[y]ou need a lawyer" is also an opinion that cannot be correct or incorrect.  However, those of us who post here and who have experience in courtrooms will universally agree that "LegalwriterOne's" opinion is spot on.  While it's certainly true that some pro see plaintiffs have won civil cases (whether it's "alot [sic]" depends on how one defines "a lot"), that's such a broad statement that it is completely meaningless.  Basic contract actions, landlord-tenant cases, and some simple tort cases are reasonable do-it-yourself projects (the sorts of cases that are commonly litigated in small claims court and/or without lawyers).  Litigating a civil rights case without a lawyer is a lot like having a calculus competition against an MIT mathematics professor.  Is it possible that you'll win?  Sure, but the odds are very much against you, and the fact that you thought asking strangers who know nothing about your case (not even the state where it's being litigated) for interrogatory and RFP suggestions tells me the chances aren't good.  I obviously don't know your reason(s) for not hiring a lawyer, but you're well-advised to do so.

Many in the legal field would agree with LegalwriterOne and pg1067's comments. Generally, its an up hill battle when a person represents themselves in court. A claim that many pro se litigants have one cases is a little misleading as a large sum of those cases  are small claims cases where both parties are  pro se; so a " pro se" litigant necessarily has to win.

However there are some famous examples of cases where a pro se litigant was successful (Gideon v. Wainwright); nevertheless its usuallyy inadvisable. Take a look at the following: Self-Presentation: The Perils of Pro Se

The FindLaw.com