skil22

Can jail or Sheriff be charged with criminal actions?

I am a mentally disabled inmate held in a specific area of the jail that houses detainees of whom have been identified as having special needs or have mental illnesses of all ranges and symptoms. I have written several grievances and closely followed administrative procedures, to no avail. The jail maintains an 8 year long practice of beating inmates, pepper spraying disabled persons in their cell, and specifically excluding every and all disabled persons, whether housed in the medical or mental health units, access to religious services, aa classes, n/a classes, coping skills, anger management, or any other educational, rehabilitative or helpful class, meeting or service of which are offered to every other general population inmate to attend. Every disabled person on the 2nd floor eat with spoons made of paper. Mentally ill inmates have one board game, have no microwave to make soups or coffee, have no water cooler with ice delivered everyday, eat from a styrofoam tray with 3 slots and all the food jammed on top of each other, no special commissary food sales of Burritos and Ice Cream and huge hamburgers that are only offered to general population inmates on the 3rd floor, and are offered no law library services and have no one to help with their cases. Many are incarcerated for misdemeanor charges are awaiting to go to Elgin for fitness reasons. There are constant disturbing use of force incidents involving the padded cell, restraint chairs and pepper spray that affects everyone on the unit. My Freedom of Information acts are often denied by the Captain of this facility, as I try to gather info pertaining to the documented use of force, mental health training for the constant rotation of correctional officers in the pod, religious attendance records by those with disabilities and other information of which would be suitable to include in a Rock River times guest column. Its my belief that just because the jail houses many persons suffering from mental impairments, they should not be subjected to such indignities and blatant discriminations. People are being handcuffed and forced on their knees and forcibly injected with medicine they don't even know what it is. It seems the jail administrators should be criminally liable. Can criminal charges be filed?

I should think posting here serves as evidence of access by poster, directly or indirectly.

I also think whomever wrote and/or posted the post can understand that general topic v. the posted question is better put to criminal justice reform organizations and media.

The local jail personnel aren't the folks to whom FOIA (state equivalent) requests should be made, and one needs counsel to pursue.

I have people outside the jail...I talk to my girlfriend everyday....I have so much more to say about this, some of the jails actions are just so blatantly discriminatory as far as Americans with Disabilitys act goes. All my grievences say  no, you cant do this or that because your "on the 2nd floor"......the only thing on the 2nd floor is medical and mental health, so they are essentially saying "no, because you have been diagnosed with a disability, you cant attend aa or ged class or worship your Lord and savior. I would give anything for a Rockford Register Star investigative reporter to seek out the FOIA requests of the Sherriff so the whole community can truly see exactly what kinds of horrendous and barbarous treatment is heaped upon mentally ill detainees of whom are sufficiently shielded from the eyes of this counties citizens. As you know, jails include among their inmates a high percentage of persons who are totally or functionally illiterate, those of whom have been deemed mentally deficient in some way, whose educational attainments are slight, and whose intelligence are extremely limited. This is certainly true for Winnebago County Jails mental health ward, and if such inmates can not have access to, or are wholly restricted from an adequate law library or materials with which to read, to gain some kind of knowledge from, or to properly assist in an effective defense of there criminal case, or just as importantly, their possibly valid Habeas Corpus claims, of which might never be heard in any court of this nation. We all have voices up here...some of us choose not to be heard, and some of us are incapable or shy or afraid to stir up trouble, but we all have rights, and we all deserve to be treated as human beings.

Fallen,

No it isn't as clear as you may think. Prisoners who are given access to this site might only have access to this site alone and not the full spectrum the internet allows.

The FindLaw.com team

skil22,

Are you able to afford an attorney?

You should ask your girlfriend to start to contact prisoners' rights groups or civil rights non profit organizations.

The FindLaw.com Team

She isn't on the computer much...has trouble opening-an e-mail kind of person....are you allowed to post a few numbers? Im sorry if asking this is not allowed....I wont do it anymore if not. Just don't know what to do next and am frustrated because Im certain none of these policies or procedures are constitutionally or even morally sound.....Thank you so much for your time and for your prompt and courteous responses....

Notice!

For those of you posting from and being held at a county facility...

It may be unwise to give out so much information concerning your cases, your location or particulars about your incarceration. The sheriff or his staff are always concerned about "security" and they may take your questions, complaints or advertising as a reason to relinquish the privilege you now enjoy.

Meaning: the sheriff could shut you down from posting and reading this site!

So, be smart, speak generally. Don't advertise or give out too much information.

What you write about can be used against you!

Some discussion on this topic recently can be found at:

http://boards.answer...-dilemma/page-4

I AGREE COMPLETELY WITH THE LAW_DOGG, IT'S VERY UNWISE TO MENTION THE NAME OF THE JAIL YOU'RE IN.  IF PEOPLE CONTINUE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE JAIL THEY WILL BLOCK EVERYONE IN THAT JAIL FROM ACCESSING THIS SITE.  YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH WHAT YOU NEED TO ACCOMPLISH WITHOUT MENTIONING THE JAIL'S NAME.   ALSO, ANYONE USING THIS SITE FOR ANY PURPOSE OUTSIDE OF SEEKING HELP WITH LEGAL MATTERS RISK GOING TO SEGREGATION. 

Im not attempting to offer a complaint, but I was seeking information about what my options might be regarding serious criminal violations perpetrated by officers within jail. (Your entire name is an acronym for the precise name of a jail, with a prisoner title attached to it!!) ...However, I will be more careful, and hopefully no damage has been done. It was an error in judgment, and I apologize to all...PLEASE CHANGE YOUR NAME THOUGH...ITS KIND OF OBVIOUS WHERE YOU ARE!!

Anyone who commits a criminal act can be charged. It is up to the district attorney to bring charges.

You asked for answers and received them and now you've gotten off-track onto another subject.

You should document everything. I am assuming your phone calls are monitored. So, thoroughly describe the conditions you and others are experiencing. Calmly and clearly. Have your people contact your representatives, the media, your doctors, other authorities, etc. to help you seek help. Let them request FOIA's. You're not in the best position. Recognize that.

Understand, you're not in a position to do much. So, don't antagonize those that have control of you. Allow your outside support group to help you contact the appropriate groups.

Sheriff Tom Dart of Chicago has expressed loudly and vocally much of what you are saying. He runs one of the largest jails in the nation. Your region has closed down numerous mental health facilities. It won't get easier fast.

Arguing online will only draw the wrong type of attention to your situation. No flame-wars!

Stick to your message. There is a mayor, city councilmen or alderman, state reps and state senators for your region. Have your people contact the sheriff with their concerns about your condition. It is not wise to openly criticize those who are locking you up with how they are doing their job.

Have your friends and family help to fix your problems and when you're released fix everyone elses.

Pay it forward...

Notice!

For those of you posting from and being held at a county facility...

It may be unwise to give out so much information concerning your cases, your location or particulars about your incarceration. The sheriff or his staff are always concerned about "security" and they may take your questions, complaints or advertising as a reason to relinquish the privilege you now enjoy.

Meaning: the sheriff could shut you down from posting and reading this site!

So, be smart, speak generally. Don't advertise or give out too much information.

What you write about can be used against you!

Some discussion on this topic recently can be found at:

http://boards.answer...-dilemma/page-4

I AGREE COMPLETELY WITH THE LAW_DOGG, IT'S VERY UNWISE TO MENTION THE NAME OF THE JAIL YOU'RE IN.  IF PEOPLE CONTINUE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE JAIL THEY WILL BLOCK EVERYONE IN THAT JAIL FROM ACCESSING THIS SITE.  YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH WHAT YOU NEED TO ACCOMPLISH WITHOUT MENTIONING THE JAIL'S NAME.   ALSO, ANYONE USING THIS SITE FOR ANY PURPOSE OUTSIDE OF SEEKING HELP WITH LEGAL MATTERS RISK GOING TO SEGREGATION. 

I agree 100%, don't mess up a good fourm to assist people who use it properly. I understand that skil22 did not purposely mean to cause any attention but lets stay on topic!!!!!!!! Also Skil22 please just erase your location on the comment above for your safety and best intrest. Respectfully!!!!