LegalLawrence0721

Over-medicated at Winnebago County Jail

I am an inmate in a county jail.am at Winnebago County Jail. I had open-heart surgery. I am on Coumadin, a blood thinner to control clotting. For almost a month I complained of blood in my stool and pain in abdomen. Without any assessment the nurses told me it was just hemorrhoids. I continued to complain. I would get sarcastic remarks about it being hemorrhoids. Three weeks in to this I was hemorrhaging from my rectum. The following day, the hemorrhaging was extreme and I had to be rushed to hospital. There doctors said my INR levels were "dangerously high"(from too much Coumadin). And the bleeding was from precancerous polyps that ruptured. Obviously not hemorrhoids that I was diagnosed with. AND WHEN DID IT BECOME LEGAL FOR NURSES TO DIAGNOSE?

Do I have a lawsuit? If so, would it be a state tort claim or 1983 federal lawsuit? I filed a 1983 Civil suit in Northern District. It has made it through first stage and a lawyer was appointed to represent me.

Does anyone have any input?

Edited by Findlaw_FN

True. I don't have any long lasting damages that I know of. But what I did suffer is short-term pain and a lot of emotional pain. This matter could have been potentially fatal. I believe there is "deliberate indifference" on behalf of the contracted medical staff at the jail. Do you have any further suggestions? Thank You

If they're not jumping up and down ready to take the case on contingency, "interesting" is all you get. You don't get to sue for what didn't happen, and by your own admission you don't have any damages.

If the lawyers are not willing to take it on contingency, then they either don't think you have a case at all, or they don't think you have a case worth litigating. Med-mal cases are extremely expensive and take years. They're not going to take a case that isn't going to generate enough of an award to make it worth their while. If you can't articulate any long term damages at this time, it's not likely to BE worth their while.

Notice!

For those of you posting from and being held at a county facility...

It may be unwise to give out so much information concerning your cases, your location or particulars about your incarceration. The sheriff or his staff are always concerned about "security" and they may take your questions, complaints or advertising as a reason to relinquish the privilege you now enjoy.

Meaning: the sheriff could shut you down from posting and reading this site!

So, be smart, speak generally. Don't advertise or give out too much information.

What you write about can be used against you!

Some discussion on this topic recently can be found at:

http://boards.answer...-dilemma/page-4

You or your people should look at few sites, also research "qualified immunity".

Several resources:

Civil Liberties Defense Center:  www.cldc.org

Center for Constitutional Rights:  www.ccrjustice.org

ACLU:  www.aclu.org

Lawyers Committe for Civil Rights:  www.lawyerscommitte.org

FindLaw is an excellent resource and this is just a small list. As always, be careful of what is said online.

Edited by Findlaw_FN
This post has been edited for violation(s) of our Community Guidelines and/or Privacy Policy. Please refer to the FindLaw Community Guidelines and Privacy Policy for more information about the rules related to forum use. - Moderator

Several resources:

ACLU:  www.aclu.org

Thanks. The case has made it past the first stages and a lawyer has been appointed. I guess I will let it play out from here.

×